• Register
  • Help

Topic: A question of my own for the computer pros

Share/Bookmark

A question of my own for the computer pros

Hi all, some of you may know that I worked in I.T. for years, I also build my own computers, but the current problem has got me beat.

A couple of months ago my computer got hit with a power surge, presumably by lightening, while i was out for a run. It fried the modem but everything else seemed OK. (The weather report said fine, and then a huge storm blew in, go figure!)

Since then, when I turn the computer on, around 15 seconds into the boot up process the monitors turn off (I have a dual head video card). I hit the reset button and the computer will then boot up just fine.

Lately though, the boot up has gotten as far as the login screen for XP when the monitors flick to change resolution for the login screen, they turn off instead.

Since the thunder storm I have put an entirely new motherboard in plus a brand new power supply. I have tried a different monitor and also a different video card but this still happens. I also did a fresh install of Windows and reauthorised all my sample libs. (What a pain that was.)

Anyone have any ideas? I'm completely stumped by this.

P.S; the video card is a Radeon 8500 and I have installed the latest display drivers. (I didnt bother with the hydravision or other software.)
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Re: A question of my own for the computer pros

any common denominators? had something similar (related to a harddisk crash) and finally it turned up the bad guy was the SCSI card.
    christian
    btw: i'm sure moderators would more appreciate such threads in the hardware section ...

One of my computers has an 8500. I had a similar problem and found it to be a faulty fan on the video card itself. It starts to spin, then would periodically stop causing the card to overheat. ATI has a built in option to "reboot on failure" (that is not the exact phrasing, but close), or you can let it just try to resolve the problem. If it is your card overheating, and you turn off the reboot feature, it will just lock up.

It sounds like this could be the problem. Leave your case open and touch the fan to see if it is moving on the heatsink. If it isn't I will try to find out what else it could be.

Thanks, I actually did take the fan off the 8500 and clean it thoroughly. Still no luck though.

This problem also occurs with a Matrox card in the system too.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Were you able to check the memory? If I didn't have any spare memory laying around to swap, I would probably take all but one stick out of the comp and check things out then. Also, here's a free stand-alone memory testing program. memtest86

Thanks everyone, I tried Neds suggestion and ran memtest. I have a bad address range at around 1023 - 1024mb.

I have three sticks of 512 so I guess the culprit might be stick two? I'll boot up with one dimm at a time and try and narrow it down.

It is kind of weird if its memory though, once the computer has fully booted up I never really get an error, even with the ram loaded to the gills.

Thanks again.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Go Back to forum