• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS2.5 Windows XP crashes

Share/Bookmark

GS2.5 Windows XP crashes

I am a new user of GigaStudio: Carillon AC-1 Pentium 2.8 with 1gb RAM, XP, Dakota Card, GS2.5, run as a dedicated sampler (aside from Explorer and Outlook express, no other software installed).

My problem is this: GS crashes every time I try to use the instrument search engine. It also crashes on shut down. Microsoft's error code suggests a video card problem (a stuck thread). Carillon have had me open the case and check the video card, which seems to be fine. Windows keeps checking both hard drives for consistency and finding no problems there.

Any help would be more than appreciated.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: GS2.5 Windows XP crashes

You need to rebuild the Quicksound database...that should fix it. Start Giga, right click any folder in the Quicksound view's left-hand pane, and choose the command for rebuilding the database. In a few minutes, you'll be good to go.

I did as you said, but the problems persist. Thanks anyway; your thought is appreciated.

Bowman

Lightbulb Re: GS2.5 Windows XP crashes

Make sure that your motherboard does not try to "share" PCI slots between two cards in your system. I have an MSI K7N2 Delta-L motherboard, and only PCI slot three can be assigned one-IRQ-to-one-slot. In my BIOS, there is a clear indication of 1/4 (slot one is the AGP slot for the video card) and 2/5 for the other IRQ assignment. I don't know where this trend came from, but the plethora of built-in components seems to be the culprit. Anyway, I put my audio related cards into slot three of both machines and all of my problems have dissapeared - GS or otherwise.

Good luck,
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Thanks, Houston, we'll give it a try.

I had a problem that may be related, though it was on a Win2K machine. If I did a quicksound refresh, I'd see the refresh start, but instead of showing me the gigs it was finding it kept showing me some files I didn't recognize (being refreshed, I suppose) over and over, endlessly. I can't recall the names of these files, I believe they had .dat and .idx extensions... maybe. At any rate, the fix was to disable the Norton protected Recycle Bin, which stored 1500 copies of these files, and then presumably kept updating the Bin with more and more copies of these files.
    Might be of help to you... maybe not.
    Gabriel

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

You might need to manually delete the database file. I think I've heart that sometimes this problem won't go away until you do that.

Sorry, I don't know the name of it offhand, though. Perhaps someone can jump in and let us know. You just delete the file completely, then GigaStudio will force a re-scan. I don't know of much else that I've ever heard of causing a crash during QuickSound searches.

Good luck. Sorry the first idea didn't fix it. Maybe this one will.

Thanks, everyone for your help, but the symptoms persist. It is really a shame, since the sounds I am getting from GigaStudio are so gorgeous - and useful. The crashes are more of a nuisance than anything else; I can always scroll down the instrument list to make my selections, and when I shut down the program I just leave extra time for the inevitable hard disk checks, offers to start up in diagnostic mode, recommendations to send error reports to Microsoft, suggestions of incantations for future recitation, etc.

But, if anyone out there has any other ideas, they would be very welcome.

I realize this is an old issue (a GS2.54 problem) but since I seem to have found the solution, I thought I should post it.

Tascam and Carillon had me rebuilding databases and moving samples from one drive to another. At one point, at Carillon's suggestion and because of a Microsoft error message which indicated a stuck video thread, I replaced the video card (Radeon to Maatrox), but nothing seemed to work. Finally, from within the QuickSound settings, I unchecked the Automatically Expand Gigs to show instruments box. The system is now completely stable.

Weird, but welcome.

I read once that Outlook Express and GIGA don't get along.

Glad you're up and running.

Go Back to forum