• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem transferring GPO projects between computers

Share/Bookmark

Problem transferring GPO projects between computers

I'm having a problem with GPO that I can't find a solution for. Can anyone suggest a solution?

The problem is that, when I transfer a song using GPO (as a plug-in, in either Logic or GarageBand) from one computer to another (I have a Mac desktop and laptop, both authorized through NI), the plug-in can't "find" the samples located in the .nks file, and won't let me "point" to them manually using the Find button.

When I transfer a song to my laptop, say, then open the application, I get a dialog for each GPO sample, saying "Sample Not Found" with the name of a specific .WAV file.

Clicking on Auto-Find doesn't help, and when I click Find, then navigate to the Instrument subfolder with the samples, they are "grayed out" and unavailable in the "Locate Sample xxx.wav" dialog.

This makes it impossible to take projects "on the road" and work on them on my laptop. Is there some other way to tell GPO where its samples are? Something else I should try? I just sent this question to Gary, but thought I'd post here as well in case others are having this problem. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Re: Problem transferring GPO projects between computers

Yes unfortunately sharing files among different computers will often bring up the dreaded find sample dialog for GPO, due to a current bug in the Kontakt player. Among all the improvements NI will make in the next updates to come, I am the very most looking forward to the changes to this. The reason you are having problems right now is because your two computers have GPO installed to different locations. If you uninstall/reinstall GPO on one of the computers, so that the install directory locations match between the two computers, then everything will work fine. This may be a workable solution for you, if your hard drive space will allow it. The other approach is just to work through the find sample dialog. Things should be better in the next update, but for now the bug makes things quite a pain for sharing files when install directories are different.

Re: Problem transferring GPO projects between computers

Thanks for your reply, Jeff.

I can't put GPO in a matching location on the 2 computers because I run it from an external disk on one of them. But even if I could, it doesn't seem workable because the "Sample not found" dialog can't look inside the .nks file for the actual samples (if I'm wrong, please correct me). So I'll join you in hoping this is fixed in the upcoming rev of the Kontakt player. Hopefully it will become available soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla
    Yes unfortunately sharing files among different computers will often bring up the dreaded find sample dialog for GPO, due to a current bug in the Kontakt player. Among all the improvements NI will make in the next updates to come, I am the very most looking forward to the changes to this. The reason you are having problems right now is because your two computers have GPO installed to different locations. If you uninstall/reinstall GPO on one of the computers, so that the install directory locations match between the two computers, then everything will work fine. This may be a workable solution for you, if your hard drive space will allow it. The other approach is just to work through the find sample dialog. Things should be better in the next update, but for now the bug makes things quite a pain for sharing files when install directories are different.
    "Music is the most direct of all the arts: it goes straight through the ear to the soul." - attrib. to Plato

Go Back to forum