• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fixing the machine gun effect

Share/Bookmark

Red face Fixing the machine gun effect

Hi Folks,
    I'm working on a string quartet piece that has the dreaded "repeating spiccato eighth notes" issue. I've used Sonar's CAL programs to vary the velocity and note placement slightly, and while it sounds better I'm not completely satisfied yet. I downloaded the controller patch from the Garritan site but have not gotten any positive results from CC24--any suggestions out there?
    Thanks so much,
    Richard

Re: Fixing the machine gun effect

Not very scientific, but you could use every other note or even every third from the same violin family on different patches.

Like note 1 is on Ens Vln 1, note 2 on Ens Vln 2, note 3 on Ens Vln 3, note 4 on Ens Vln 1 and so on...

This is not the way GPO was meant to be used, but might give a cool effect - worth a try if all other controls are not giving you what you want...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

You can use the sustain pedal to alternate notes with the solo strings. Up on one note, then down on the next. This is a simulated up/down bowing which starts the samples in a different spot.

Richard,

Haydn is correct. Using this technique you can even simulate tremolos with extremely short note values – alternating sustain pedal position for each note - and, largely, avoid the machine gun effect. A job for editing. Be careful to adjust note velocities to achieve the proper balance between bow strokes (velocity only affects the pedal up group).

VAR 2 (cc24) is not active in the present version of the player unless you use the full version of Kontakt. This will be corrected in the next version. VAR 1 (cc22) can also be judiciously applied during fast passages.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    You can use the sustain pedal to alternate notes with the solo strings. Up on one note, then down on the next. This is a simulated up/down bowing which starts the samples in a different spot.
    I'm still rather new to all this--is this accomplished as an automated edit in the sequencer? I'm using GPO as a VST insert in SONAR 3.1.1 I'm guessing that the amount of pressure on the pedal creates the intensity of the down/up stroke...
    Thanks so much,
    Richard

Go Back to forum