• Register
  • Help

Topic: Black Grand Ambient demo available

Share/Bookmark

Black Grand Ambient demo available

You can now download the demo version for the Ambient perspective of the Black Grand for HALion 2 and Kontakt. (Both Kontakt .nki and HALion .fxp files included)
    Make sure that you are running the latest versions of Kontakt and HALion 2.
    In HALion, set the "preload into buffer" to 0.75 seconds for best result.

Read the included "ReadMe" file for further info!

IT has two complete octaves plus all the C's.
    The files are devided into 50Mb chunks and are packed with WinRar. Mac users can use StuffIt expander or MacRar to unpack.

Here are the links:

Black Grand Ambient Demo 1
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 2
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 3
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 4
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 5
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 6
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 7
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 8
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 9
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 10
    Black Grand Ambient Demo 11

Close and Medium Perspectives will follow shortly!
    Enjoy and let me hear your comments since last minute tweekings always fun...
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: Black Grand Ambient demo available

Hi,

thanks !

Regards,

Olivier

Having problems getting this to work - the first rar file appears to be empty?

Andy

http://www.audiopHoBic

[QUOTE=audiopHoBic]Having problems getting this to work - the first rar file appears to be empty?

I had a problem with the first RAR too, but I've just tried again, and this time it's worked.

However, I only have Giga, so I can't actually use it - damn. (well, I haven't tried converting it to Giga - can someone recommend a way to convert to Giga? I'm not up with sample converters at the moment)

I've listened to a few of the WAV samples, and I think I can hear a background noise which sounds like it could be the recorder's motor? (DAT?) Are those WAV samples just quick & dirty recordings to give us an idea of what the real instrument sounds like, or are they the raw samples that were used to make the sampled instrument proper? Anyway, I guess you know what you're doing - I've heard the demos of the White Grand, and boy - that thing is SUPERB!!! And who said it's not meant for classical? Don't you think Mozart would have liked to have that sound available back then? I'm sure he would have.

Cheers,
    Greg.

Looking at the archive again, it's obvious that the WAV files in the Samples folder must be the actual samples for the instrument. (I'm not familiar with HALion or Kontakt yet - sorry). Anyway, I'm sorry if I'm off base re: the background noise, but I think I can hear something, at least in the soft samples, for what it's worth.

Greg.

I also hear some very audible thumps in 01_Pd_Amb_-36.2_F3.wav. (it almost sounds like someone walking up some stairs!).

(I'm just having another listen to some of the samples, because I was a bit concerned that some of the background noise might actually be due to sounds coming from my own highly *non* ideal listening environment. At the moment, though, I do think the sounds are in the WAV files)

Greg.

Hi Sullivang

The wav-files are the finished ones. No DAT was used, everything recorded directly to a DAW.
    The reason that you find background noises in some of the samples are that you are listening to them at a higher volume then they are supposed to be listened to.
    See, all samples are normalized to -3dB. The reason for doing this is because when played in a sampler, this will give an accurate dynamic response.
    The sample you mention, "01_Pd_Amb_-36.2_F3.wav" are a sample that should be in the lowest velocity layer, and when played, it should sound very quiet.
    That sample is originally -36.2dB, so when normalizing it to -3dB you also amplify the background noises, but as I said, when played in the instrument, it's amplitude is more around it's original, that is -36.2dB, and therefore the background noises are not disturbing.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Hi Worra,
    Yes - ok - that's fair enough. However, note that one reason I did bother to make any comment about the noises at all is that you seem to want to exploit both the forte and the piano samples to create special versions of the piano - which I think is a fantastic idea. (it's a powerful advantage that sampling has over the real thing!)

Greg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    Hi Sullivang

The wav-files are the finished ones. No DAT was used, everything recorded directly to a DAW.
    The reason that you find background noises in some of the samples are that you are listening to them at a higher volume then they are supposed to be listened to.
    See, all samples are normalized to -3dB. The reason for doing this is because when played in a sampler, this will give an accurate dynamic response.
    The sample you mention, "01_Pd_Amb_-36.2_F3.wav" are a sample that should be in the lowest velocity layer, and when played, it should sound very quiet.
    That sample is originally -36.2dB, so when normalizing it to -3dB you also amplify the background noises, but as I said, when played in the instrument, it's amplitude is more around it's original, that is -36.2dB, and therefore the background noises are not disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivang
    Hi Worra,
    Yes - ok - that's fair enough. However, note that one reason I did bother to make any comment about the noises at all is that you seem to want to exploit both the forte and the piano samples to create special versions of the piano - which I think is a fantastic idea. (it's a powerful advantage that sampling has over the real thing!)

Greg.
    True, some patches uses the lowest 8 velocity layers, suitable for soft playing.
    This also means that the samples are played louder then they should and that, consekvently, the background noises are louder.
    This piano was actually recorded in a concert hall since I thought that it would add value to the sound. The amount of background noises, even if the hall was quet, are more then in a recording studio.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Here's a Kontakt patch provided by Xavier Bidault that features some features like true repedalling that Xavier and Olivier Frappier has developed.
    These guys are just amazing!

Xaviers Black Grand Demo Patch
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Go Back to forum