• Register
  • Help

Topic: Won't Get Fooled Again

Share/Bookmark

Won't Get Fooled Again

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    NY Post Page Six Blurb

Another classic Moorism. Pete Townshend wouldn't let him use the song, so that PROVES beyond any reasonable doubt that Townshend must be a war supporter. And as Nick has demonstrated, the balls obviously in Townshend's court now. If Moore said it, then it must be true, so the burden of proof now rests on Townshend to proove to everyone that he's not a warmonger. It's exactly this type of mis-characterizations that pisses so many people off about Moore. Here you will find this quote from Pete:

"He says that I refused to allow him to use my song Won't Get Fooled Again in his latest film because I support the war. I have never hidden the fact that at the beginning of the war in Iraq, I was a supporter. But now I am less sure we did the right thing."

Moore and Townshend's views on the war are not completely dissimilar, but the way in which Moore characterizes Pete you'd think he was a Bush supporter.

There's a growing resentment for Moore's tact. This article shows other examples of people who might otherwise have similar thoughts about the war get totally turned-off by him for one reason or another.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Re: Won't Get Fooled Again

I read the articles you linked to....I hadn't considered Moore a poster boy depicting the typical "Ugly American" to foreigners, but it fits. Love him or hate him, he is arrogant and enjoys forcing his opinions on others.

You're freaking crazy! The ugly American to foreigners is the classic pig headed conservative. Uncultured, uninformed of world issues, loud, sloppy, greedy and stupid. In other words Republican. World opinion on Americans has plummeted under Bush. THEY HATE HIM! This has been reported over and over in papers worldwide, over the past 2 years.

But that's the point Nick. Moore has been accepted, to a point, because he's made a film that's blatantly anti-Bush, a straight-talking "ugly American" that's permeated their media since he took office. Even so, Moore is just as much an "ugly American" as Bush is.

Quote from the article:
    "The French attitude was evident in a droll dispatch in Le Monde about Moore's press conference for foreign reporters in New York last week. In front of 150 reporters, Moore dispensed political advice to the people of many nations.

He urged the British to vote out Prime Minister Tony Blair. He wished the Australians would dump Prime Minister John Howard.

"The chief of the Italian government, Silvio Berlusconi, was not forgotten by the filmmaker," the Parisian daily observed dryly.

"If I were an Italian citizen, I would have left the movie theater asking myself what in the world Berlusconi was doing by always hanging on to George W. Bush's coattails," Moore was quoted as saying. "It is embarrassing for Italy and the earlier there is regime change in Rome, the better."

Moore also had advice for the people of South Korea, according to the Seoul daily Chosun Ilbo.

"I hope Korean viewers start a social campaign against the dispatch of additional troops to Iraq," he said.

Simon Houpt of Toronto's Globe and Mail wrote Moore's advice "reflected a typically American arrogance -- his assumption that the war should be the primary issue for foreign voters simply because it's the primary issue for him."
    You don't see that many people might take offense to the idea of an American film maker - a crass and obnoxious one at that - dictating to them what's REALLY important?
    Michael Peter

play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

It seems Pete's got a blog:

Pete's Blog
    Michael Peter

play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

what is strange you will never hear the same detail to attention about the real players in all this, like Paul Wolforwitz etc the real people who are resposible for the crimes, actually at the moment i am reading a book called "Who Paid the Piper" a book about CIA involvement in cultural activities during the cold war, very interesting stuff, and makes me very suspicious when i read posts from rocks stars etc as if they are experts in the area

Go Back to forum