• Register
  • Help

Topic: "67 Cities"

Share/Bookmark

"67 Cities"

Alright... So, finally, I've arranged an entire piece of music using only instruments provided by GPO. I think I got very satisying results considering that I arranged the entire piece BY EAR (just listening to a CD soundtrack and transcribing what I heard to Overture). I'm so proud of myself. Anyway, this is a piece from a documentary film that was released last year. I really wanted to see how many of you can guess the film or the composer (one of my personal favorites), or both. Some of you may not even know the song, but can guess the composer from the style of writing. The song is called "67 Cities." I need tips, comments, and critiques on my arrangement PLEASE!!! (oh and please listen to the whole piece before commenting)

Hopefully the link works (this is my first time posting music)

http://www.soundclick.com/util/strea...D=1411477&q=Hi

if not, download the mp3 "67 Cities" from this page

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/coldroadmusic.htm
    Last edited by 88chopin; 07-14-2004 at 12:18 PM. Reason: posted an incorrect link

Re: "67 Cities"

I listened to this song this morning and I liked it then as I do now. I have no idea who composed it or where its from, but that doesn't matter I guess. The only thing I'd say (and this is inherit in this type of situation) is that the repeated notes do get 'repetative'. A little tweaking may get rid of this, or some VAR 2 control when we have access to that in the next update. Aside from that the main melodies sounded great. I can't wait to find out who composed this originally so I can check it out and compare. But, I'll say this, to think that you composed all this by ear, that is tantamount unto itself and you deserve a large pat on the back for that alone.

I agree with Joseph, good job--it must have been rather time consuming with music of this nature. It sounds sort of Philip Glass-ish to me.
    Richard Galbraith

Wow! All by ear? You must be quite sore now.
    Seriously, excellent but I have to admit I cannot place this piece or the composer. It is familiar, but I am at a loss as to the name or either. Pretty cool work and I can appreciate the time it takes to accomplish such nice end results using your ear. Been there plenty of times as well.
    Thanks for sharing! Let us know who and what soon. I can't stand being in suspenders too long.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by RichG
    I agree with Joseph, good job--it must have been rather time consuming with music of this nature. It sounds sort of Philip Glass-ish to me.
    Good job RichG. This piece sounded sort of Philip Glass-ish because it IS Philip Glass. I knew at least one of you guys at this site could guess the composer based on the style alone. He's one of my greater influences in the way I approach to writing music. This particular track/cue, "67 Cities," is from the motion picture documentary, "The Fog of War" which came out last year. What's funny is that a lot of student composers don't like Glass' music but that never stopped me from loving it. The arpeggios, the rhythm of the harmony, the chord progressions, and that killer melody are quite typical of Glass.
    Thanks for the tips. Also, I realized that the voice-leading sounded incorrect in some parts, that's because I have no orchestration experience; just theory.
    Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond to this post. My next post will be my own composition, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by 88chopin
    (SNIP)I really wanted to see how many of you can guess the film or the composer (one of my personal favorites), or both. Some of you may not even know the song, but can guess the composer from the style of writing.
    I really enjoyed it. Although I don't recognise it, it sounds very Philip Glass" to me. Perhaps from one of those Poyinisquatsi Koyonistwatsi Impossibletoprounouncesi films? :-)

Skevos Mavros
    http://www.mavart.com

Edit: I took so long to register and reply that I now see that someone guessed Glass before me. :-)
    Last edited by SkevosMavros; 07-15-2004 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Heh

I've been told my style is reminiscient of Philip Glass. Obviously not as good though I'm sure! This is a very good piece, but yes the repeatitive notes do seem to sound a bit... well... repetitive to say the least - however, musically I think it's very well done, another person who's good at playing by ear! I like it!

I thought this was instantly recognizable as Phillip Glass. Not bad for transcribing it by ear. It seems a little choppy or something – it kind of throbs. Besides the VAR controls, use the sustain peddle (you can draw it in) so every other note has it. This should help it sound more natural.

I used to listen to a lot of Phillip Glass. I grew tired of it after a while – it’s not that the pieces are repetitive, it’s that his whole cycle of work is. The music he put out in the 90s (with few exceptions) sounds just like his 80s music sounds just like his 70s and 60s music. Anyway, overall a nice job.

Edit - I just reread this and want to make sure my intentions are not mistaken. I think you did a good job with this. I don't dislike P. Glass, I just don't listen to his music much any more. I have about 10 CDs of his music which are, with the exception of "The Low Symphony", collecting dust.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum