• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Amazing Grace (Symphonic Poem)

Share/Bookmark

Amazing Grace (Symphonic Poem)

Hi all, here it comes finally!

I managed to put together a "little" arrangement of the hymn Amazing Grace.

The intrumentation is as follows:

1 Piccolo
    2 Flutes
    2 Oboe's
    1 English Horn
    2 Clarinet's in Bb
    1 Bass Clarinet in Bb
    2 Bassoons
    1 Contrabassoon

4 Horns
    3 Trumpets
    3 Trombones
    2 Tubas

Timpani
    Bass Drum
    Cymbals
    Triangle
    Tubular Bells
    Glockenspiel

Harp
    Organ

Strings

The piece: http://www.falcon-creations.com/mp3/..._symphonic.mp3
    The hymn text: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/a/m/amazgrac.htm

Btw. The mp3 file is about 10mb's.

As always, ALL comments are appreciated!

Ps. Sorry goes to Frank (Bela-M) because I cancelled my plan to use vocals - at least for now.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Amazing Grace (Symphonic Poem)

I like what I hear, but it seems there's too much reverb (but you may have been aiming for that with a church type sound.) It was hard for me to hear the organ when it was low in the beginning and it got kind of muddy with the organ and brass at around 3:30 or so. Then the winds came in and made my day. Never heard this piece orchestrated before and I think you did an excellent job. Turned this into a very epic song.

I agree there is too much reverb, also the strings sound artificial they could be more tender. Perhaps some more vibrato, if you were aiming for beauty lose the organ and replace it with a harp/piano or perhaps a choir underneath. And at one point it gets really loud and distorted because of the reverb you will want to fix that. The woodwinds do sound very good as does the epic climax. Keep up the good work.

Falcon,

I really liked this! I agree that the reverb tends to muddy up the clarity of strings and tends to wash out the separation of instruments. Also - while the wind scoring is fantastic - for realism's sake, give those wind players a chance to breathe! The nice flute melody starting around 2:12 doesn't pause at all for a breath till 3:10. I've heard of saxiphonists being able to perform circular breathing, but not a flute player! ha ha.

I really love the harmonies, the choices of instrumentation, and the overall piece. I would bring the reverb down if you want a bit more clarity, I understand you were trying to go for a church reverb, (?) but I think that you do this wonderful arrangement a disservice by having too much of it (IMHO)
    Thanks for sharing!!

Jerry

Smile Re: Amazing Grace (Symphonic Poem)

Hi guys and thanks for the comments.

Here's a new version with less reverb: http://www.falcon-creations.com/mp3/...mphonic_v2.mp3

Joseph, there isn't any organ until 4:25. But the orchestration in that section (4:25 - 5:25) is very thick, and I was aiming for it. However, maybe in the mix it sounds muddier than it would be live.
    Thanks Joseph for liking it, it took unusual long time to arrange this hymn.

Adam, please listen to my v2 which has less reverb. What I was aiming for was mainly contrast but also to express the text, listen to the "bells" (not loud) and connect that with the organ and then see the text.

Jerry, hehehe... you noticed a flaw in the midi programming. I have correct that in the v2.

This is one of the most difficult piece I have needed to mix so there's bound to be some mistakes like the reverb one. So please let me know if there's something else which I can improve.
    Also, because lack of time I haven't be able to program the piece to ultimate realism - if that's possible. But I think I manage to program the end, where the risk was that the winds sounded like machine guns.

Please let me hear what you think of v2. Is it better or worse?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    Hi guys and thanks for the comments.

Here's a new version with less reverb: http://www.falcon-creations.com/mp3/...mphonic_v2.mp3

Jerry, hehehe... you noticed a flaw in the midi programming. I have correct that in the v2.

Please let me hear what you think of v2. Is it better or worse?
    The Url isn't working.

Jerry

Corrected Link

Here you go Jerry W.

Ver. 2.0 = 1000% improved.

I have nothing to say about the new version. Absolutely beautiful.

Thumbs up Re: Amazing Grace (Symphonic Poem)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    The Url isn't working.

Jerry
    Sorry about that Jerry, and thanks goes to Joseph to correct the link.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Smile Re: Amazing Grace (Symphonic Poem)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Ver. 2.0 = 1000% improved.

I have nothing to say about the new version. Absolutely beautiful.
    Thanks Joseph!

This is the arrangement which has taken me longest time to finish, or about three weeks if we take into count the other 7 versions I started on. So I was in kind of mind struggling with this piece, like Beethoven with his 9th symphony. But I'm satisfied with the result and hopefully most people will be too.

Now, where can I find big enough orchestra to play the piece live? Hmm...

Again thanks for listening!

Ps. Have you listened to the piece and compare it to the text? How do you think I expressed the words? Properly or not?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast