• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaStudio editor questions

Question GigaStudio editor questions

I've been a GigaStudio 2.5 user for quite some time but rarely have used the editor until recently. Lately I've been working on editing the Bob Clearmountain Drum II set. I've learned quite a bit from the David Govett GigaStudio Mastery tutorial disks but there are some things that are demonstrated on the disks that make total sense, but when I attempt the same actions, they don't work and I don't understand why. For example, I've tried to do something as simple as copy and paste a region and it does not work. It also seems insane that when making certain edits, in order to hear the results of that edit, you must hit the "GS" button which reloads the file, and then wait even longer while the entire patch is saved. Does anyone out there have a handle on this editor and can you offer some insight as to why I can't copy and paste a region?

Pluto, hydrogen 11 severnth

Re: GigaStudio editor questions

I put also some questions on the forum about the editor, but it seems to take a very very long time since hearing even a small answer! I think it must be boring for advanced users.

Winsted, CT

Coppying regions works in all the ways you'd expect: Edit Menu, righ-click, or shortcut keys.

Sorry, there's no way around the long save after edits...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Regarding the long wait times (full re-saves):

Do all your basic mapping, i.e., getting the waveforms in the proper dimensions and regions, as the very first thing. Do this before you do any tweaking at all. Save the GIG file periodically during this time, always to a discrete file name. The strategy here is to avoid losing anything in the tricky buildup to a fully mapped instrument. Things like corrupted wave file chunks, etc., could bring down the system unexpectedly in that stage, so save early-save often until you get the entire instrument mapped. THIS file should be saved off as a special "ground zero" file, and always kept in its original state. Make a copy of it, and this copy becomes the foundation for all further edits.

Once you've gotten every waveform into place, there will be much less "full" saving, and more "parital" saving. This takes a lot less time. That's the key to the strategy outlined above.

Another thing you'll want to do is start saving ART files at this point. Once all the waves are in place, saving incremental ART files allows you to go forward and backward in time without keeping a lot of multiple GIG files on the system. Before I do a "save" on the GIG file, I first save an ART file, incrementally labeled. If you get your GIG file into an undesirable sounding or corrupted state, the ART-file methodology will let you resurrect it from the original "ground zero" file. In this way (as long as you don't change the waveform content), you never need to have more than two versions of a GIG file under construction. IF you change the waveform content, then you'll want to save off an incremental "ground zero" file containing the updated waveform content.

That's the way most developers basically work, and it's about as time-efficient as you're going to get.

Hope that helps you out.

Go Back to forum