• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Engine sound in racer game"-problem

Share/Bookmark

Smile "Engine sound in racer game"-problem

Hi!

I have the following problem: how to create a good engine sound for a pc and ps2 game. The sound should be continuous and interactive. Like you accelerate and the sound goes up and louder, you are slowering down, the sound gets lower. You are starting the motor etc. I thought of looping a motor sound, the use progressive pitch shift or filters... but how can you do this in the engine...? What engine to use? But first of all... where to get good Motorsounds?:-D
    Anybody has some ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated:-)

Best,
    Markus.

Re: "Engine sound in racer game"-problem

Hi... i'm a music guy, so I have no clue.. but did you see this post a few threads down?

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=22024

Might help

Huh, thank you! Yes, that's my problem :-). Any suggestions are still very welcome.

Talking Re: "Engine sound in racer game"-problem

Quote Originally Posted by Markus S
    Hi!

I have the following problem: how to create a good engine sound for a pc and ps2 game. The sound should be continuous and interactive. Like you accelerate and the sound goes up and louder, you are slowering down, the sound gets lower. You are starting the motor etc. I thought of looping a motor sound, the use progressive pitch shift or filters... but how can you do this in the engine...? What engine to use? But first of all... where to get good Motorsounds?:-D
    Anybody has some ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated:-)

Best,
    Markus.
    Hi.... i've made once a nice sounding truck engine out of a 2 viola long samples
    played at very low freq and with offset to each other....
    just a hint.... not to mention the bypassing airplane out of my dryer and vacoom cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by lukpcn
    Hi.... i've made once a nice sounding truck engine out of a 2 viola long samples
    played at very low freq and with offset to each other....
    just a hint.... not to mention the bypassing airplane out of my dryer and vacoom cleaner
    Hehehehe , excellent creativity !

Talking Re: "Engine sound in racer game"-problem

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Hehehehe , excellent creativity !
    Once i was recording a man swimming in a canoo and i was in my bathroom
    One hand: microfone attached to my PC
    Second Hand: Into the bath-tub into water

Gues what ? Yes there is a electic rupture in that situation....
    preety cool i recorded only me shouting "OH FCUK"

Hi Markus S,

I don't know if it's of any use but...

I'm doing this thing right now for an upcoming N-Gage racing game.
    It was my first time doing an engine sound, plus the Ngage sound and speaker are by far the worst any console(?) ever had...

The thing I can tell from my experience is that I had to create 2 sets of sounds for a single engine. You got 1 set with let's say recordings a 1000 rpm, 2000 rpm, 3k, 4k etc. This one while you pressing the the acceleration button. But it the program just downpitch these samples for descelerating once you release the button, it's not gonna be nice and realistic enough. So I had to create a second set of sounds, recorded when the engine's going "down". (1k, 2k etc. same as the first one). This is a less powerful sound, were you don't feel the agressive roaring of the engine.

So basically I have these 2 "Engine-up" and "Engine-down" sound sets going each from 1000 rpm to 8000 rpm playing simultaneously. "Up" being heard only when you keep the acceleration pressed, and so on.. you get the idea

Since you're working for PS2 and PC I guess you can add more detail and do a more evolved job than that, but I think it's a good basis if you don't know where to start.

Hope that helps a bit,
    Nino

Go Back to forum