• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Why am I so excited?

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Why am I so excited?

... because I just ordered SAM Solo Sessions: Brass for Kontakt!!!

Twenty four-bits of pure compositional fun are headed my way! Thanks Maarten and Co. for releasing such a widely varied set of brass instruments that's unbelievably priced! This will fit quite well with my current sample set!

Wishing you continued success...
    Jon

Re: Why am I so excited?

You'll be glad you did. I just recieved the library (though I ordered the Giga version) and it's the best hundred-eighty bucks I've spent in a long time.

andyt

I recieved mine yesterday and absolutley thrilled with them. They are able to produce soft, subtle and incredibly powerful sounds.

I have Maarten's Horns & Bones, Dan Dean Brass Ensembles and the EWQL GOLD library ... but I wanted a set of solo instruments to complement them.

I was very surprised at how big a sound can be achieved with the solo sessions... they can easily be used to create a big brass section sound ... just check out the Ensemble demos on project SAM site. The Cimbasso is lower and dirteir and ballsier than anything else I have in my ensemble libraries.

In fact I'd strongly recommend anyone who is starting to build a library on a budget that they start with the Solo Sessions as the foundation for their brass. This will give you solo and big, flexible ensemble sounds. Do yourself a favour and listen to the "ensemble" demos.

Just to be even handed, there a very, very small number of wobbly and out-of-tune notes (to my ears) in the trombone and trumpet, at extremes of their ranges. Does anyone else hear these, or is it just me ? Also, I expected the piccolo trumpet to sound brighter ... but then, I'm not an expert on piccolo trumpets.

Yeah, Sam Solo set sounds great. Soon as I get my earnings I'll order Solo set with SAM Trumpets.

BTW I did small test song with solo instrumets. These are from the Solo demo gigafiles. Timpani and snare are SAM's also:

http://www.tapanisiirtola.com/TS_samit.mp3

Altought they are solo instruments they sound big alright...

Tapani S.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    Also, I expected the piccolo trumpet to sound brighter ... but then, I'm not an expert on piccolo trumpets.
    Piccs have a very compact sound, but not necessarily "bright" as in brassy. The smaller the trumpet, the less brassy it sounds at fortissimo, but the more focused and compact the tone becomes.

The funny thing is the young trumpet player's fantasy that getting a picc will suddenly increase his high-range. Every player goes through that complete disillusionment process when he realizes it is, in fact, still all in the chops. The horn's just an amp.

Thanks guys!
    We appreciate the comments!

Work has already begun on our next library, but uh... don't tell anyone yet.

All the best,

Maarten Spruijt
    Project SAM
    www.projectsam.com

Would be nice if there were some demo compositions.

damn...I must resist buying it....damn....Those forte layers sound really great....

...damn...resist.....

...to be continued

Lux,

Resistance is futile...you must buy!!!

This is a really excellent buy. These are very nice sounding instruments plus you get the 3 mic positions.

I'm using the 24 bit Kontakt versions. Was doing comparisons with my other brass libraries. The sound just blows away anything else currently on my hard drive.

I did run into some items that hopefully will be fixed in a future update, though. The default volume settings very widely between the articulations for the same instrument. Some may be at 0 db and others at -6 or -12 db. Also, there are some goofy releases on instruments. I found a couple mislabeled instruments which I should have written down. One was a duplicate of another instrument.

Overall, this is a must buy library.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten Spruijt
    Thanks guys!
    We appreciate the comments!

Work has already begun on our next library, but uh... don't tell anyone yet.

All the best,

Maarten Spruijt
    Project SAM
    www.projectsam.com
    Indeed. We wouldn't want the same kind of excitement as with Solo Sessions wouldn't we
    I'd like to invite you all to the SAM user demo page which has a demo of mine on it
    http://www.projectsam.com/userdemos.html

Go Back to forum