• Register
  • Help

Topic: Samples of Samples?

Share/Bookmark

Samples of Samples?

Do companies give away free samples of their samples to try? I'm STILL in the market for my first set of orchestral samples, and would love to try any and all before I buy (if possible.) I also write some prog-rock stuff, so if you know of anything on that front, please chime in as well.

I thank you all for your help in advance!
    Jon

Re: Samples of Samples?

Hi,

Most companies do not. VSL has a demo DVD Rom which has audio demos as well as 1.4 GB of demo sounds that you can buy for $10 plus shipping. That will give you a taste I imagine but it is a very small percentage of the total package. QLSO has a presentation DVD Rom that they send out for free to you but it does not include sounds on it. You have a bunch of audio demos as well as interviews and information on how the library was created.

Depending on your budget, you may need to simply listen hard to the demos and read all of the posts on comparing the main ones in order to decide.

HTH,
    FV

Project SAM has a number of demo .gig files available for all of their libraries. They were more than enough to convince me.

Thanks! Any more companies have free samples of samples? Any good website resources for freebees from users, etc? I'm just looking for anything decent to mess around with in Logic.

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    I also write some prog-rock stuff, so if you know of anything on that front, please chime in as well.

I thank you all for your help in advance!
    Jon
    I write some prog rock as well, besides to classical/soundtrack and jazzy stuff. For drums I mostly use Drumkit From Hell. What other instruments are you looking for (bass, keys)? If you're aiming at a free drumset you could try the NS-kit ( http://www.natural-studio.co.uk/ns_kit.htm ). Some libraries I use for prog are orchestral (like xylophones from london orchestral percussion etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by FV
    Most companies do not. VSL has a demo DVD RomFV
    You can actually download it too, ask around on the VSL forum and Christian from VSL will surely give you a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    I write some prog rock as well, besides to classical/soundtrack and jazzy stuff. For drums I mostly use Drumkit From Hell. What other instruments are you looking for (bass, keys)? If you're aiming at a free drumset you could try the NS-kit ( http://www.natural-studio.co.uk/ns_kit.htm ). Some libraries I use for prog are orchestral (like xylophones from london orchestral percussion etc...).
    Judging from the musical genres your writing, you sound like my Netherlands clone! I'd love to hear some of your work (if you dont mind of course).

As for what I'm looking for in the prog-rock world, mainly a decent set of drums (better then V-drums TD-10 sounds) and some interesting synths and pads. I've always been a MIDI man, and just recently with the purchase of Logic Pro have started playing around with the EXS sampler. I'm now on the first steps of the path switching to a mainly sample based composition setup.

Any and all advice on sounds, tips and tricks, and other web resources for prog-rock and/or orchestral & jazz would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you all for your help thus far. I'm looking forward to seeing with else the world of samples has to offer!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Temple
    Project SAM has a number of demo .gig files available for all of their libraries. They were more than enough to convince me.
    I downloaded them too, and they sound great! I wish they would give you a complete instrument to use, rather then 3 or 4 notes! I guess this is how they hook ya!

Which did you end up buying, the solo sessions or ensemble samples?

All of them. Though not all at once.

Go Back to forum