• Register
  • Help

Topic: HELP: Dont know what to buy Orchestrally

Share/Bookmark

HELP: Dont know what to buy Orchestrally

I am attempting to join the orchestral sample world running Logic and EXS, but I'm very scared as to what to buy. I am looking hard that the Opus 1 stuff (EXS formated and gives me everything in one box) and the EWQL Gold (but its for kontakt, and I own only EXS) thus my hesitation to buy. Given the comments on these boards (see SAM brass posts, etc) would it be in my best interest to purchase an orchestra in parts or as a whole?

If you had roughly $1000 to spend on an orchestra, how would you spend it? I'm going to be running Logic Pro on a new duel 2.5 G5 w/ 3-4BG ram. I also have a MIDI Roland JV1010 w/ orchestral 1 expansion to fill any holes.

I truly appreciate your time and energy in helping make this transition from MIDI to samples a little less scary.

Jon

Re: HELP: Dont know what to buy Orchestrally

Hi Jon,

Given $1000 to spend, I'd personally be looking at one complete set rather than by piece. However, I would budget in the future for extra libraries to help round out missing parts or to add different sounds to your toolset. I can't tell you which you should buy (Opus 1 or QLSO Gold).

In this price range, for a full orchestra, these are the two main ones and I'd probably focus on them. Take a look at the instrument lists as well as articulations. If one has more than the other, decide if the extras are important or not to you.

Listen as much as you can to as many demos as you can. Listen very, very closely as these two libraries sound different from each other. Which one sounds closer to the sound you are looking for in an orchestra for your compositions.

I personally don't think that you can go wrong with either of these libs. One thing to note is that Opus 1 is not sampled chromatically (ie not every note is sampled - I think every 2nd note is though) which may or may not bother you. It does include some performance samples which greatly aid in realistic passages, especially for solo instruments. QLSO sounds fantastic with the hall's natural ambience included in the samples as well as all the panning is taken care of for you so it practically mixes itself. I've also found that you need very little eq when using QLSO Gold.

As I said above, both libs are great (I only own Gold but the demos of Opus1 sound great too). Decide on one, buy it, learn how to use by playing and composing lots with it. Then, down the road, as you need different sounds or you need to fill a hole, buy another library but for a specific section or instrument. ProjectSAM, Sonic Implants and a variety of others have great sets that offer just a few instruments for good prices.

HTH and good luck,
    FV

andyt

Yes, I agree with what FV has advised. For $1000 you can buy a fantastic complete orchestra. Whether it should be Opus 1 or EWQL GOLD, only you can decide ... but very soon there will be a third complete orchestral library within your budget; the Kirk Hunter SWB library (strings, woodwinds, brass).

- Listen to as many demos as you can ... get a feel for the type of sound you want.
    - Hang out in their respective forums; get a feel for what people are able to do with the libraries; consider what upgrade paths are available; future plans (EWQL are here on Northern Sound, VSL are at www.vsl.co.at, Kirk Hunter will soon be at www.kirkhunter.com.
    - Ask people who own the libraries what they like and dislike about them (again in the forums)
    - despite what anyone says about one library in favour of another, remember there are both objective and subjective considerations.
    - I haven't hear of a single owner of either GOLD or Opus 1 regretting their purchase ... both are great tools, able of producing stunningly real orchestral music.

p.s. GOLD comes complete with a version of Kompakt which should work on a MAC. Though check out the EWQL forum to see if there are any technical issues with it still.

The Kirk Hunter SWB does not include percussion and is only in the Giga format so far.

I just want to second that you should look at both Opus 1 and Gold. If you carefully consider what you are looking for then you should find which of the libraries suits you better to start with. Good luck and hope to hear your mixes soon!

I would probably agree with the above posters. I went the other rout and have purchased several separate librarys. in turn have spent way more money and do not have as many choices for sound. I justified this at the time because I primarily only wanted strings and choral music. While it's doable and I have made a few specific tracks, Hind sight tells me I should have probably gotten 1 complete package.
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Quote Originally Posted by žeth
    I would probably agree with the above posters. I went the other rout and have purchased several separate librarys. in turn have spent way more money and do not have as many choices for sound. I justified this at the time because I primarily only wanted strings and choral music. While it's doable and I have made a few specific tracks, Hind sight tells me I should have probably gotten 1 complete package.
    In general, it is nearly always best to get one complete library and learn it well. Then, as you write, you'll soon enough find what you're missing which in turn will help you decide the next full library or sectional library to get.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    I am attempting to join the orchestral sample world running Logic and EXS, but I'm very scared as to what to buy. I am looking hard that the Opus 1 stuff (EXS formated and gives me everything in one box) and the EWQL Gold (but its for kontakt, and I own only EXS) thus my hesitation to buy. Given the comments on these boards (see SAM brass posts, etc) would it be in my best interest to purchase an orchestra in parts or as a whole?

If you had roughly $1000 to spend on an orchestra, how would you spend it? I'm going to be running Logic Pro on a new duel 2.5 G5 w/ 3-4BG ram. I also have a MIDI Roland JV1010 w/ orchestral 1 expansion to fill any holes.

I truly appreciate your time and energy in helping make this transition from MIDI to samples a little less scary.

Jon
    Given the above specs, you would do well with either EWQLSO Gold Edition or VSL Opus I ... or both. VSL sounds great with Altiverb (another consideration) where QLSO Gold Edition sounds fantastic either without verb or with a touch to put it in the same room with your other instruments.

EXS is a pretty cool feature on Logic and integrates well with both Logic and the Mac environment. I have several different orchestral templates where I'm using all 64 audio instruments with EXS with VSL First Edition. EXS is a little dated but still very cool to use - and very easy.

Kompakt which houses Gold shows as an audio instrument plug in with 8 midi in/out (Kontakt has 16 midi in/out.) It requires a little more working to access the midi control to tweak individual volumes and expression, but once you have a workable template you can save it as a starting point for your other pieces.

Go Back to forum