• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sampling - Do It Yourself

Sampling - Do It Yourself

Re: Sampling - Do It Yourself

I've been an avidly sampling since I bought my first S950 when I was a student (which I still use) and my personal library is umpteen times bigger than my purchased libraries. I can't claim to have reached the EWQLSO level of fidelity and quality but most of the stuff I've done this past decade has been plenty good enough for work. So much has been sampled using the Akai samplers because their sonic fidelity is so impressive and the machines are very quiet. Its now much easier to edit on the current crop of softsamplers and it takes far less time to construct a good working instrument, but I still sometimes use the Akais for the sampling process, mainly because I just know them so well.

The most essential software I've used has been Wavelab, ever since its release which I use in tandem with Kontakt for editing. The recording chain is as simple as I can make it: A Rode NT2000 for mono or NT4 for stereo, and an apogee mini-me preamp. Waves plug-ins have been indispensible for processing. That's it. Very simple and barely anything in the way of messy wires!.

I think sampling is an essential part of electronic music making, wether for pseudo-acoustic ends or not, and I think anybody who hasn't dipped their feet into it is missing out on a thoroughly enjoyable aspect of music making.
    Trev Parks

Thumbs up Re: Sampling - Do It Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmy
    No tips Heath, I'm still in GS land but having done a bunch of sampling and editing, I now wish developers of certain products could, or would make available their raw data for a fee, of their initial sessions. It would allow users who really want to do some customizing a real oppurtunity to do so. There's a real joy in creating something cool that no one else has. Companies would only have to package the product and no editing would be required.

Pretty cool deal for all concerned.

I would love to get some of the not used or unedited stuff from QLSO,VSL or SI

btw SISB includes some outtake stuff on their lib. It's great to have stuff like that around.
    Very Cool Idea!!!
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Re: Sampling - Do It Yourself

That's the truth. There's something really thrilling about getting all your samples cut up, mapped out, and sitting down to play an instrument you just made.

I've sampled all my congas, djembes, changu, buk, cowbells, gongs, and tons of little percussion stuff...tambourines, log drums, a Jaymar toy piano, you name it. I've sampled my little 27" concert bass drum with calfskin heads--that one came out great, super bowel rattler deluxe!! I've also done a lot of sound effects, ambiences, stuff I've collected over many years with my portable DAT. My best personal library is an extensive sampling of Chuck Rainey...and boy does it ever make a difference who's plucking the strings!! That one I may eventually release, depending upon how it shapes up in the next couple of months. So far, SO good...but I used a totally different approach in the session, and it will either be brilliant or one totally lousy failure. We'll see.

Producing a commercial library is a ton of work. You have to generate a certain amount of material to justify a price to cover your expenses. But when you're "rolling your own," you can knock out great little custom instruments in an afternoon or two that no one else would imagine producing.

I've really been looking forward to Giga 3.0, because the programming ideas in there are very exciting...much more conducive to behavioral modeling. And for some of the ideas I've been developing, it will take Giga 3 to actually realize them.

If you only play your sampler, you are totally missing out. I guess if you came up in analog tape world, as I did, you're very accustomed to sampling because it was something you used literally all the time in the studio for moving things around in time. Can't count the number of times I used an Akai to scramble background vocals, guitar riffs, etc. In DAW-world, a lot of that is no longer the best way to work. But it served to get me comfortable with using samplers as tools rather than library jukeboxes, and I haven't really shaken the bug.

Go Back to forum