• Register
  • Help

Topic: Circular buffer WAV recording wanted, for debugging/testing purposes.

Share/Bookmark

Circular buffer WAV recording wanted, for debugging/testing purposes.

Just a request for a small enhancement - I'd like the ability to set a time limit for the record to disk function, and when that time limit is reached, for recording to wrap around to the beginning, and keep going. (i.e - like a tape loop). The reason I want this at the moment is only for testing purposes - there is a highly intermittent problem which I want to reproduce, and record, and it would be handy to be able to just let the record-to-disk free run, knowing that when the problem *does* occur, I can just hit the stop button, and I'll have a small & manageable file to deal with.

Yes, I can probably rig something up using a seperate application, but it'd be nice if this little feature were available in Gigastudio. (IMHO)

Greg.
    p.s I have CC'd Tascam support.

Re: Circular buffer WAV recording wanted, for debugging/testing purposes.

Howard,
    Yes, that feature you describe of SF 7 is exactly what I'm after - thanks.

And yes, that threshold triggering sounds very useful for taking samples.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by hv
    Like the Sony SoundForge 7's pre-record buffer? If it's something you can record with that, it might do the trick for you. When you enable it and arm for recording, any recording you make will contain up to 30 seconds of material that occurred right before you hit the record button. I don't usually use this feature but out of curiousity I just tried it out and it does work. It's probably a feature that's easy to implement and could be quite handy... wouldn't be suprised if it started showing up in other audio editors, recorders, and samplers.

Another cool sounding SF7 feature I haven't tried yet is threshhold triggered recording. Seems like a natural for sampling, perhaps used together with a little pre-record buffering.

Howard

FWIW, I've reproduced and recorded the problem - as it turns out, it's a problem I actually reported a long time ago - it hasn't been fixed yet. Looped samples must have the loop end right at the very end of the sample - there can be no unused audio samples after the loop end point. If there are,
    notes which are held for a long time can cause strange sounds to occur.
    E.g: In this recording:
    http://www.virtualcreations.com.au/g...artifact_2.htm
    I simply played the initial F#2 and held it for the entire duration - the little "plink" at the very end of the recording was *not* played by me - it is a spurious sound. I'm pretty sure this problem only ever happens when the
    loop end doesn't coincide exactly with the end of the sample recording proper. (certainly, if I increment the loop end by one sample, making it the
    very end of the sample recording, the artifact no longer occurs when I play that note).

The particular sample in the above recording is sample F#2 MP from my home brew Yamaha CP80 electric grand. http://www.virtualcreations.com.au/gs/cp80.html The problem is reproducible at will - it happens every time I hold that sample for an extended duration, and it also occurs for all notes which use that sample. I need to do a thorough audit for this problem and update the samples.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    FWIW, I've reproduced and recorded the problem - as it turns out, it's a problem I actually reported a long time ago - it hasn't been fixed yet. Looped samples must have the loop end right at the very end of the sample - there can be no unused audio samples after the loop end point. If there are,
    notes which are held for a long time can cause strange sounds to occur.
    I found quite a few samples like this. If anyone can confirm that this issue has been fixed in GS3 I'd appreciate that info. (I don't have GS3 - I'm still on 2.5) GS 2.5 does actually correctly play a few cycles of the loop before the artifact would occur. Most strange.

In any case, I've updated the CP80 and it's available at http://www.virtualcreations.com.au/gs/cp80.html
    Nothing else has changed - it's a very minor update to fix this problem only, and to move to the RAR format.

Greg.

Go Back to forum