• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Memory Error!!!???

Share/Bookmark

Memory Error!!!???

With 1Gig RAM, why do I receive the message "physical memory is getting low"?

Seems to happen whenever I load the Steinway Piano (dry) with anything else.

This occurs when using GPO Studio, latest version. It occurs before I load anything else - - Sonar, Sibelius.

Any clues appreciated.

Re: Memory Error!!!???

Not being a PC guy, I wouldnÕt know the ins and outs of your machine or sequencer, but the first thing that comes to mind is a faulty ram chip. Have you run a utility program to test all your ram?

This is common. It doesn't mean the samples or the program will not work, it is just a kind of reminder that you're getting to the limit of what you can load. As long as you only get the error once while loading, you can safely ignore it. It will warn you again if you keep loading instruments. It does seem that the error warns you about memory a little soon than it should. It'll be alright, I used to get it all the time when loading the piano.

GPO is a ram-based application. 1 GB might be okay, but if you can spring for more RAM, do it. Just a guess, but maybe another way is upgrade your player to full Kontakt which has direct from disk streaming. Hope this helps.

Lightbulb Re: Memory Error!!!???

The other "clue" is the sample rate of your host application. Early on in my initial usage of GPO I was doing things where I was also capturing voices from outboard keyboards via fibre optic connection and I was working at a 96kHz sampling rate. It turns out (we now assume) that when GPO or other sample engine sees that it bounces up its samples to that sample rate, resulting in a corresponding gobbling of memory. (If you are using Cubase SX as I am, check your "Sample Rate" in your Project Preferences.)

i hope this helps ... running out of memory with just one (albeit large) instrument is a pain ...

KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    The other "clue" is the sample rate of your host application. Early on in my initial usage of GPO I was doing things where I was also capturing voices from outboard keyboards via fibre optic connection and I was working at a 96kHz sampling rate. It turns out (we now assume) that when GPO or other sample engine sees that it bounces up its samples to that sample rate, resulting in a corresponding gobbling of memory. (If you are using Cubase SX as I am, check your "Sample Rate" in your Project Preferences.)

i hope this helps ... running out of memory with just one (albeit large) instrument is a pain ...

KevinKauai
    Well, my choices of sample rate, using GPO studio with Sonar or Sibelius or anything else are really limited by my sound card, Audigy 2 ZS. It has two options (that I can find), that being 48 or 96 k sample rate. I use 48, later, when burning cd, convert it to 44.1. As an aside, somewhere here I recently read comments that ths Sound Font manager on the Audigy 2 ZS would not allocate suffiecient memory to SF cache. But after upgrading drivers (again) to relieve other problems, I can allocate 942 Mb to sound font - but with GPO, who needs it?

Possibly the problem would be relieved if I used the DXI version with Sonar? But I recall that GPO studio works better.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Not being a PC guy, I wouldnÕt know the ins and outs of your machine or sequencer, but the first thing that comes to mind is a faulty ram chip. Have you run a utility program to test all your ram?
    RAM checks out okay according to all checks, my tests, and the shop that installed the chips. Thanks for the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick
    GPO is a ram-based application. 1 GB might be okay, but if you can spring for more RAM, do it. Just a guess, but maybe another way is upgrade your player to full Kontakt which has direct from disk streaming. Hope this helps.

Well, I just upgraded to 1 gig, and that is it for now, which according to specs, is quite adequate for GPO. Actually, the booklet states that 512 Mb would be adquate in most cases. So I think the problem is elsewhere (see another post in this thread.) Maybe if I used the DXi version?

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, I just upgraded to 1 gig, and that is it for now, which according to specs, is quite adequate for GPO. Actually, the booklet states that 512 Mb would be adquate in most cases. So I think the problem is elsewhere (see another post in this thread.) Maybe if I used the DXi version?

Well, now, I just tried the DXi version with Sonar; no change.

It's really nothing to worry about when you get this warning message. It just means you are starting to seriously eat into your RAM; it does not mean that the application is out of RAM or that there is any problem yet. I would probably prefer it if NI didn't produce such a message, since it just worries people and has no negative effect as far as I can tell. If you actually run out of RAM you will get an error message (something you should pay attention to) rather than the not-so-important warning messages you have already seen.
    Hope this helps

Go Back to forum