• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS160 and Digi--1/ProTools5LE

Share/Bookmark

GS160 and Digi--1/ProTools5LE

Is anyone running these two applications on the same computer, hopefully at the same time? Or even separately...
    Thanks
    Dasher

Re: GS160 and Digi--1/ProTools5LE

On separate computers...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    Is anyone running these two applications on the same computer, hopefully at the same time? Or even separately...
    Thanks
    Dasher
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mark, but I need to know about them residing on the same box. Running only oe or the other is OK (I guess) but I have clients that want PT and I refuse to put it on my Mac, Digital Performer will have hissy-fits!

Anyone else?

Dasher

Dasher,
    No problem.

Actually I looked at the applications, and their requirements, and pretty much decided that I wouldn\'t want to try it. the issue, in my mind, was that both applications make very heavy use of disk drive resources. Each of them is streaming large amounts of audio data into the PC. PT streaming tracks and GSt streaming samples. since PT streams things in more or less a linear fashion, that\'s not too bad. However, GSt streams based on the MIDI note it receives. As my hands move across the keyboard, I force the GSt hardware to go where ever the sample is on the disk. There\'s really no way to change that.

I do think it would be interesting to try and do it, but in my opinion it would require completely separate hard disks and controllers to make it work, so that each controller just worked on it\'s job and at least the Pro Tools drive could stay aligned to where it\'s data was.

Additionally, since we would have more data traversing the PCI bus, I think it\'s likely that Pro Tools will end up complaining about interrupts held up or some such other thing that it likes to complain about.

Anyway, I wish you good luck making it work. It does sound like an interesting challenge.

Cheers,
    Mark
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    Thanks Mark, but I need to know about them residing on the same box. Running only oe or the other is OK (I guess) but I have clients that want PT and I refuse to put it on my Mac, Digital Performer will have hissy-fits!

Anyone else?

Dasher
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark, I don\'t need more challenges in my life right now (the phrase \"may you live in interesting times\" is an ancient Chinese curse!)
    Thanks.

Dasher

Any reason this should be fundamentally different from using an \"ordinary\" sequencer with several audio- and midi-tracks (driving GS) playing at the same time?
    This is what I do with my modest Home Studio 2002 (\"Sonar-light\") and GS160.
    I have not tried to drive the system to the limit, but I may get there eventually...
    If I ever get some free time I will try out Pro Tools-LE and see how my 1.7GHz/256MB Ram behaves. This is of course limited to 8 audio tracks.
    I have my gigs and waves on separate harddisks.
    Erik

Erik,
    No, I don\'t think there is any reason that this is \'fundamentally\' different than the environment you talk about. However, most of my stuff in PTLE is pretty much maxed out at 24 tracks of raw audio with 6-10 MIDI tracks and their associated Aux return tracks to mix the audio back in. Then I have to throw the CPU overhead of plug-ins into the picture, and when I\'m done with all that, there\'s really no PCI or CPU bandwidth left.

In my case, there just wouldn\'t be any way to run GSt on that machine!

Cheers,
    Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erik Nygaard:
    Any reason this should be fundamentally different from using an \"ordinary\" sequencer with several audio- and midi-tracks (driving GS) playing at the same time?
    Erik
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark,

It sounds like you may be doing what I\'m asking about (after getting the clear message I can\'t use them together...)

Are you running (separately, one at a time) GS and PTLE on the same system and boot partition? If so, what system? Or are you running two separate computers for this?

Thanks
    Dasher
    Dasher

Dasher,
    Sorry for any confusion. No, I\'m using two completely separate computers. PTLE is on an Athlon XP 1600+/A7V266E machine, while GSt is on my older Dell P3 500MHz machine.

I\'m really tring to use GSt right now as basically a MIDI sound module, albeit a very high quality one.

I see no reason at all, if you don\'t need the sequencer and GSt at the same time, that you can\'t run them on the same machine. However, I need both at the same time.

Take care,
    Mark

Thanks, Mark. I can live with that limitation (at least for a while.)

Dasher

Go Back to forum