United States coup d'etat. We need to make sure it doesn't happen again

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    The New York Times
    July 16, 2004
    Fla. Lawmaker Says 2000 Election 'Stolen'
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 12:51 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Think the passions from the 2000 presidential election have cooled? Certainly not in the House, which voted Thursday to strike a Florida representative's words from the record after she said Republicans ``stole'' that closely fought contest.

The verbal battle broke out after Rep. Steve Buyer, R-Ind., proposed a measure barring any federal official from requesting that the United Nations formally observe the U.S. elections on Nov. 2. His proposal was approved 243-161 as an amendment to a $19.4 billion foreign aid bill, with 33 Democrats joining all 210 voting Republicans in voting ``yes.''

Rep. Corrine Brown, D-Fla., and several other House Democrats have made that suggestion. They argue that some black voters were disenfranchised in 2000 and problems could occur again this fall.

``We welcome America to observe the integrity of our electoral process and we do not ask, though, for the United Nations to come as monitors at our polling stations,'' Buyer said.

``I come from Florida, where you and others participated in what I call the United States coup d'etat. We need to make sure it doesn't happen again,'' Brown said. ``Over and over again after the election when you stole the election, you came back here and said, 'Get over it.' No, we're not going to get over it. And we want verification from the world.''

At that point, Buyer demanded that Brown's words be ``taken down,'' or removed the debate's permanent record.

The House's presiding officer, Rep. Mac Thornberry, R-Texas, ruled that Brown's words violated a House rule.

``Members should not accuse other members of committing a crime such as, quote, stealing, end quote, an election,'' Thornberry said.

When Brown objected to his ruling, the Republican-run House voted 219-187 along party lines to strike her words.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press

Re: United States coup d'etat. We need to make sure it doesn't happen again

Quote Originally Posted by charles
    The New York Times
    July 16, 2004
    Fla. Lawmaker Says 2000 Election 'Stolen'
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

blah....blah...blah...
    Get over it already.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A comprehensive study of the 2000 presidential election in Florida suggests that if the U.S. Supreme Court had allowed a statewide vote recount to proceed, Republican candidate George W. Bush would still have been elected president.

Florida Supreme Court recount ruling

On December 12, 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned a Florida Supreme Court ruling ordering a full statewide hand recount of all undervotes not yet tallied. The U.S. Supreme Court action effectively ratified Florida election officials' determination that Bush won by a few hundred votes out of more than 6 million cast.

Using the NORC data, the media consortium examined what might have happened if the U.S. Supreme Court had not intervened. The Florida high court had ordered a recount of all undervotes that had not been counted by hand to that point. If that recount had proceeded under the standard that most local election officials said they would have used, the study found that Bush would have emerged with 493 more votes than Gore.

Gore's four-county strategy

Suppose that Gore got what he originally wanted -- a hand recount in heavily Democratic Broward, Palm Beach, Miami-Dade and Volusia counties. The study indicates that Gore would have picked up some additional support but still would have lost the election -- by a 225-vote margin statewide.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    Get over it already.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A comprehensive study of the 2000 presidential election in Florida suggests that if the U.S. Supreme Court had allowed a statewide vote recount to proceed, Republican candidate George W. Bush would still have been elected president.
    Rather than rely on what CNN and the RNC have told you (and give us only HALF the story as so many accuse Michael Moore of doing), why not look at the ACTUAL results of the study:

If a statewide recount had been done, Gore would have won as follows:

Standard as set by each county Canvassing Board during their survey: Gore wins by 171 votes.

Fully punched chads and limited marks on optical ballots: Gore wins by 117 votes.

Any dimples or optical mark: Gore wins by 107 votes.

One corner of chad detached or optical mark: Gore wins by 60 votes.

http://www.aei.org/docLib/20040526_KeatingPaper.pdf

Not to mention the fact that Gore won the popular vote by over 500,000 votes. Add to that the thousands of voters in Florida who were illegally purged by Jeb and Kathryn, and Gore is the clear, clear winner.

Only LIMITED recounts gave Bush victory (as you've shown). So don't tell us to "get over it." It was the will of the people to elect Gore president and we have a FRAUD in office who has fraudulently sent Americans to their death. My biggest fear is Bush will somehow figure a way to steal it again.

Post Re: United States coup d'etat. We need to make sure it doesn't happen again

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    So don't tell us to "get over it."
    GET OVER IT!

One can play "what if" games all day long. What if the news stations had not called the election to Gore before the polling places had closed?...Florida residents in the western part of the state (...a much more conservative section of Florida) might have continued to stand in line and vote if they thought it would matter. I love it when people try to change the rules of the game after it has been played.

C'est la vie. Je vous laisserai retourner a votre pleurnicherie maintenant. Apres tout, cela est que vous faites meilleur.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

All recounts using Florida's accepted recount standard, which would have been the only LEGAL way of recounting, resulted in Bush winning.

Rather than rely on what CNN and the RNC have told you (and give us only HALF the story as so many accuse Michael Moore of doing), why not look at the ACTUAL results of the study:
    You accuse Brian of relying on CNN and the RNC for his info and then you link to a study by the Washington Post, only further invalidating your presposterous claim. No matter how long you go on and on about it, it will never be true.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

I know you guys will never admit it, but let's face it. Bush stole Florida. Read "Jews for Buchanan". Kathleen Harris and Jeb Bush basically erased 50,000 votes for Gore. It's just sad that Americans are too afraid and lazy to do anything about it. Why would we get over the hijacking of American democracy. NEVER get over it. People are powerful. This year I'm going to Florida before the election to help out. Anyone want to come?

Only LIMITED recounts gave Bush victory (as you've shown). So don't tell us to "get over it." It was the will of the people to elect Gore president and we have a FRAUD in office who has fraudulently sent Americans to their death. My biggest fear is Bush will somehow figure a way to steal it again.
    I'll second that emotion! Let's bring reason back to American Foreign Policy.

JG

Quote Originally Posted by His Frogness
    You accuse Brian of relying on CNN and the RNC for his info and then you link to a study by the Washington Post, only further invalidating your presposterous claim. No matter how long you go on and on about it, it will never be true.
    Hey, Frog, the study I linked to was from the newspaper CONSORTIUM, headed by the Washington Post (whose opinion pages traditionally lean far right). A NUMBER of newspapers joined together to count the ballots and these are their findings. These are the SAME findings that CNN (per Brian's quote) used to make its claim, only they left out the fact that Gore would have won under a full statewide count as the study shows.

No matter how much you deny it, THESE ARE THE RESULTS of the study. Go ahead and bury your head in the sand, but facts are facts.

I mean, for godsakes, what more do you want? I gave you a link to read the thing for yourself, which tells how they went about the study. Do you have to go to Florida yourself and count the votes before you'll believe Gore won?

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    All recounts using Florida's accepted recount standard, which would have been the only LEGAL way of recounting, resulted in Bush winning.
    Untrue. Read the report.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast