• Register
  • Help

Topic: * Company Name

Share/Bookmark

Question * Company Name

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hi,

I am about to register my company name and was wondering if I could get some feedback. I want it to be either "Redwill sound" or "Redwill music". Through the years I've helped bands record their music and done a little recording of myself. And during that time I always went under "Redwill sound"...I kind of liked that name. But now that I am going into offering catalogs of music for film and doing custom scoring, I'm wondering if "Redwill music" is more accurate. I noticed most companies use "music" in their title.... Non-stop Music, Immediate Music ...ect. I was worried "Sound" might portray sound engineer or sound design (house) which might confuse future clients.

thanks for you time.

audiojet

Re: * Company Name

If you have an established client base, then stick with "sound", if branching into a new market, either is fine. One thing to consider is that you might not want to go with "music" as you might blend in too much with the crowd. "Redwill Sound" might make your company stand out.

Are you ever going to set up or become a music publishing company as well? If so...and you want it to be under the guise of "Redwill Music" or something similar, it might not be completely up to you what your company name is. If you want to register it with BMI or ASCAP, etc...they have to have their lawyers run the name through a worldwide legal search to make sure the business name is available and not being used by another music publishing company in order to register it.

Just something to consider if you ever evolve into that capacity.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

My company name is Massive Soundworks and I do music.

I think the chances of losing any potential business due to "sound" being part of your name as opposed to "music" is miniscule at best. I'd just go with the name you like most.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Quote Originally Posted by audiojet
    Hi,

I am about to register my company name and was wondering if I could get some feedback. I want it to be either "Redwill sound" or "Redwill music". Through the years I've helped bands record their music and done a little recording of myself. And during that time I always went under "Redwill sound"...I kind of liked that name. But now that I am going into offering catalogs of music for film and doing custom scoring, I'm wondering if "Redwill music" is more accurate. I noticed most companies use "music" in their title.... Non-stop Music, Immediate Music ...ect. I was worried "Sound" might portray sound engineer or sound design (house) which might confuse future clients.

thanks for you time.

audiojet
    If your focus is music, I think it's a mistake to use "sound." Any businessman will tell you that the name of your company should accurately reflect the business.

As for your clients, simply send them and e-mail or letter stating that you've changed the name. You might want to include a business card for their roledex.

Whatever SOUNDS best!

Go Back to forum