• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyboard controllers with electronically adjustable mechanical feel?

Share/Bookmark

Keyboard controllers with electronically adjustable mechanical feel?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hi,
    Ever since I've had my Kawai MP9000 digital piano, I've been quite disappointed with it for electric pianos - especially for Wurly's. It's just too heavy and wobbly, making it impossible for me to bash out chords in the same way that can be done on the real thing. (I *really* like it for acoustic pianos though - lovely!) The problem I have is that I will sometimes appregiate chords unintentionally, because I just can't control the overall mass of the action precisely enough. Stronger players may not have this problem, but that doesn't help me. I dragged out my real Wurly again after having not touched it for ages - it's *much* easier to play in the fashion I want to.

So, is there any work in progress to make a controller which has electronically programmable mechanical feedback and inertia? Or, is there *already* something along these lines available somewhere?

The salesman who sold me the MP9000 actually tried to warn me about the action of the MP9000, believe it or not. He said "it's only for piano" (meaning acoustic pianos). I reckon he's right.

Greg.

Re: Keyboard controllers with electronically adjustable mechanical feel?

Hi,

This forum is typically reserved for waaaaaaay off topic stuff, poltitical discussion and the like . You might have better luck posting in the "Hardware" forum. Sorry I can't help.

Joanne

Oh, ok - thanks Joanne.

You know what - perhaps I should take this query to the newsgroups instead - it's probably not all that relevant to these forums here.

I'd be happy for the moderators to delete this entire thread.

Cheers,
    Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    Hi,

This forum is typically reserved for waaaaaaay off topic stuff, poltitical discussion and the like . You might have better luck posting in the "Hardware" forum. Sorry I can't help.

Joanne

Quote Originally Posted by sullivang
    Hi,
    Ever since I've had my Kawai MP9000 digital piano, I've been quite disappointed with it for electric pianos - especially for Wurly's. It's just too heavy and wobbly, making it impossible for me to bash out chords in the same way that can be done on the real thing. (I *really* like it for acoustic pianos though - lovely!) The problem I have is that I will sometimes appregiate chords unintentionally, because I just can't control the overall mass of the action precisely enough. Stronger players may not have this problem, but that doesn't help me. I dragged out my real Wurly again after having not touched it for ages - it's *much* easier to play in the fashion I want to. (snip...)
    I've come to the conclusion that the MP9000 keyboard action may not the main problem. The main problem is with the instruments - both the internal sounds (I'm using the Rhodes and Wurly presets), and the external instrument. (my home brew rough-as-guts Wurly). The problem seems to be that the sample attacks don't coincide closely enough in time, which can result in appregiation. Part of the problem is likely due to discrete velocity switchpoints as well. Playing a synthesized electric piano, which has very smooth change in timbre with velocity, the result is a lot better - I can play rapid staccato chords and there is very little appregiation.
    Many of the internal MP9000 sounds are also fine in this regard (just not the sounds I like to use mostly, unfortunately!) It is still more difficult to play like the way I want to, but it's not as bad as I was making out originally. I was thinking about selling it and getting a semi-weighted controller instead, but I've decided I'm going to keep it.

Greg
    p.s The MP9000 is the most beautiful piece of furniture at my place by *far*. What a beast - reminds me of those big RD1000's of yester year.

Go Back to forum