• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lexus spec cue

Post Lexus spec cue

I put together this cue over the weekend - all told it took about a day and a half. The 1/2 day was spent re-working part of the cue that needed to be "backed off" of the full string sections with the quartet (and the cello counter-melody) taking over to match the visuals - otherwise I would have been in and out of it in just under one working day.

All orchestral instruments are GPO. The guitar is Virtual Guitarist, with Groove Agent and Arturia's minimoogV taking on rhythm and bass responsibilities. The traditional instruments went through Pristine Space and a Garritan impulse with the entire mix being channeled through Ozone for the final touches.

Enjoy - TLM Lexus final mix

If I get clearance to show the spot with visuals I will add a link to QuickTime and Windows Media versions.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: Lexus spec cue

Nice, Would love to see the visual along with it! Nice instrumental balance. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Lexus spec cue

Hey hey, I like it!

yes, it would be nice to see the audio-video interaction

UK- teeming with life....

Houston....You haven't got a problem. That was brilliant/sparkling....loved the production too.....great sheen.

Excellent .
    You should do some professional video game work
    Theo Krueger - Composer

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Decatur Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Excellent .
    You should do some professional video game work
    Very Nice. I dont think I'd have a clue as to how to go about making music like this. I dont know what it is but it definitly sounds like it would fit the application well and all the different instruments are well mixed and sit well together. An excellent job I'd say. In more ways than one. Would love to hear more.

Lightbulb Re: Lexus spec cue

Thanks for all of the compliments.

As far as the comments about "not having a clue" about how to make music like this - it's not really that difficult. You often get is a "temp" track - just like a film score. This was no different. The first thing you do is ask the director (or other point of contact) what is strong or weak about the music cue. Most often it is a hit that is missed because the temp does not quite match to a scene change. Next, you break the music up into "components" - rhythm, chord style, period, instrumentation and rework the balance based on the answers to the "best of" and "worst of" comments from the client.

I chose the tempo-sync'd delay because the temp had something similar - BUT - the delay was at a different interval. So, I had an opportunity to do something interesting and different. I also chose an array of percussion instruments where the temp track used a piano through the delay. The instrumentation plus the complex stereo delay meant that my chord choices had to be simple - so that I wouldn't have conflicting chords gumming up the works. Fortunately, the client specifically requested a "floating" feel, so I kept the voicing to a series of tonally related suspended chords that never resolved - with a very simple root movement - keeping the chords from ever having a minor second clashing during changes with the delay ringing out.

I kept adding instruments, with the expectation that I would do a "rhythm section" heavy mix and an "orchestral" mix, and perhaps one or two others using different soft synths (XPhraze and CS-80V were at the top of the list - with their impressive sound shaping and arpeggiators built-in).

As it turned out, everything fit well together, and as I removed and re-blended for the specialty mixes things tended to fall apart. I decided to leave well enough alone and sent a complete rough mix to get feedback. I got some comments on laying back in one brief section, and the GPO string quartet came to the rescue, and the cello counter-melody emerged as a "change of pace".

In a general sense, it's a matter of having a broad educational and listening background, as well as the ability to interpret what is often intuitive signals from the customer to have enough useful information to draw on a "bag of tricks" - and hopefully come up with something original in the process. In the end, I had a piece that was quite different in tempo and orchestration from the temp, but still had that "floating" (*thanks for the comments on vertigo - that's a bull's eye in my estimation) feel and in many ways fits the video better than the temp. So, I feel like I did a decent job and turned things around quickly - which is the real test with these things. I just did a series of 15-second radio spots - so to have 60 seconds to develop a complex orchestration and several musical ideas was a real treat.

Without GPO, none of this could have happened. It's a fast, intuitive tool that gives very musical results - and I feel lucky to have it as my go-to orchestra. Enough gushing - back to work...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Nice piece, Houston. Keep 'em coming.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Orcas Island

Remarkable! Excellent composition and well produced. Can't wait to see the video.

Thanks for posting this. Keep the fabulous music coming.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast