• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is more than 2 GB of Mem. necessary?

Share/Bookmark

Is more than 2 GB of Mem. necessary?

I'm building a new computer and I was wondering if it is necessary to get more than 2 GB of memory?

Re: Is more than 2 GB of Mem. necessary?

What library are you using or going to use???
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

vsl, gigastudio. I want to know if it is pointless to get more than 2 GB of mem for one computer knowing that giga uses up to 1GB.

What I've noticed is that the more RAM you stuff into your pc, the more can't be used, so I think it should be wiser to use two pc's with 1 gb of ram. The RAM meter goes up to 92%, with the register modifications set to the highest (see the VSL forum for that). On my 768 mb RAM pc the meter can go up to 99%...

Of course it depends how much samples you're going to use at the same time. I'm using GOS for strings, and I can't load all the patches I need on one pc with 1,5 Gb for an orchestral composition.

Do you know how much memory Gigastudio 3 will be able to handle? Because if the current gigastudio can handle 1 GB and if G3 will handle alot more I'll build my computer according to G3 specifications.

I've heard that it will be able to load the same amount with less memory.
    I didn't say Giga 2 can handle only 1 gb. The percentage of memory that is usable becomes less compared to using less memory. I think this has something to do with XP.

At NAMM the limit for Giga 3 was 1.5 GB as this is a limit posed by the kernel in Windows XP. The kernel only uses 2 GB and part is for the OS and then Giga gets the rest.

Kontakt currently will use 2 GB and again this is a limit of Windows XP.

So realistically there is no real reason to have more than 2GB of memory?

Maybe Win Server 2003 will change this?

or Longhorn definitely should.

A minor point of clarification: Windows XP supports 3.5GB of memory. This is the amount that all your applications combined, including the OS, can use. So if you are running a lot of things other than GigaStudio at the same time it can make sense to get more than 2GB, but if you are only using GigaStudio on the machine then I'd stop at 1.5GB or 2GB.

Go Back to forum