• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sneeking out of the dark shadow.

Sneeking out of the dark shadow.

Hi every one.

Yes I have been lurking in the forum. Reading all the time but not posting. I am very impressed with what every one has been doing with Gpo. I have been infatuated with this library myself and thought I would share an other piece.

Last time I posted, I put up a piece with two flutes and a harpsichord, and said I would be more active in the forum. Well, things have been busy and I use most my spare time towards writing. I also said I would be putting up an orchestral piece. Of course it is still in the works but I got about 5 min of music so far. Geez I'm a flake

So here is my little piece. I just threw it together real quick, about three weeks. I rarley have a visual when I write music but what I see in this one is an old lady looking at photographs of her departed husband.
    With a half smile half crying expresion she getlys picks up each picture and cherrishes the memorys.
    I know, I'm a little sappy but I can't help it.

Gentle memory

Sorry about the hasty ending to this piece but I wanted to keep it short.

Hope you enjoy.

Re: Sneeking out of the dark shadow.

Hi 88!

I liked this piece a lot. Your descriptive language is apparent from the beginning. You really bring the emotions out.

The only criticism is that I think the harp is a bit too strict on the beats. What I mean by that is that sometimes when a harpist plays more than 3 notes at a time, he or she will often have to "roll" the chords - slightly arpreggiated. I am not a harpist so I really have no authority in that, but it is just an observation. Doing this will add a more realistic feel to the music.

I love the interplay between the instruments and the melodic lines they play.

What equipment / sequencer / notation software did you use to create this?

Thanks for sharing!

Jerry Wickham

NW Illinois

Very soothing. I was looking out the window as I listened, watching the rain come come down as the skies darkened slightly, then the rain let up and things got a little brighter. The music seeded to fit waht I was seeing.

Another wonderful work from you. The only problem I have is that the overall volume of the piece could be higher, but other than that I love it.

Thanks guys. I'm glad you like it.

I have to agree with you about the harp. I think that If I had played all the parts live on my keyboard I could have controlled the timing and overall realism much better. There are also a couple of spots in there where the instruments are so close in tamber that they seem to sound a note that I did not put in there at all. You can hear it at 1:45. It sounds way strange to me but I am learning to live with it just out of lazyness. LOL

For this piece, I wrote every thing in overture and used GPO studio. Because I can't control the equalization of the instruments in GPO,I recorded each track seperately, brought them all into Adobe audition, adjusted each track (equalizer), then mixed them down to a stereo pair.
    I found that the instruments of this library can use some of it's high frequency cut out to give it a more robust feeling.

The instruments I used are:
    Chromatic Harp 1
    Cello 2 solo
    Violin 1 gagli solo
    flute solo v

Thanks for your response. That is so cool you got to watch the rain and listen to my piece. I live in Reno Nevada and hardly see rain, but I love it. One of my favorite things is being inside a car with out the motor running and listening to it rain or being woken up in the wee hours of the morning and being lulled back to sleep by the sound of rain. Geez! Now that I think about it, I otta move to Oregon. lol

I'm glad you liked the piece. Sorry about the volume. I had thought about boosting it when I was doing the mastering in Adobe but just didn't get around to it.

Thanks for your responses. Very helpfull for me to develope into a better midi programmer. It also helps me to keep from thinking that I do all this in vane and am the only one who likes it.

I think I will go and record each track of my orchestral piece and master it. Who knows I may have it ready tomorrow or next week.
    I'll post it when I'm done.
    (The Nut )

Go Back to forum