• Register
  • Help

Topic: FYI - HALion3 update coming soon...

Share/Bookmark

Re: FYI - HALion3 update coming soon...

Very Good news! Steinberg acted very quickly because it is a bit buggy, but I know they will get it right

Yeah it's great news.

That said, I think -most- Steinberg users have come to expect the following scenario:

1. Get the update

2. Install and have a play. Read Manual

3. 4-8 weeks later, install the inevitable patch. Is it OK? Then get down to production work. If not, repeat steps until OK.

Personally, their QA drives me nuts. And I am concerned that it has become institutional: not only with the company, but with users who seem to have learned to accept it. Which only enables Steinberg.

I love Steinberg products, but is it wrong to wish that they would get it right THE FIRST TIME. Just once? Other software seems to work better with the .0 release than do most Steinberg products.

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by Suntower
    Yeah it's great news.

That said, I think -most- Steinberg users have come to expect the following scenario:

1. Get the update

2. Install and have a play. Read Manual

3. 4-8 weeks later, install the inevitable patch. Is it OK? Then get down to production work. If not, repeat steps until OK.

Personally, their QA drives me nuts. And I am concerned that it has become institutional: not only with the company, but with users who seem to have learned to accept it. Which only enables Steinberg.

I love Steinberg products, but is it wrong to wish that they would get it right THE FIRST TIME. Just once? Other software seems to work better with the .0 release than do most Steinberg products.

---JC
    You are right of course. But.......take out the word 'Steinberg' above, and substitute it with 'Native Instruments' or several other companies I can think of and the situation is the same (in NI's case, sometimes the '4 to 8 week' wait can at least be doubled though). It's not a Steinberg only issue.

Steve

I hear ya. But though you don't say it directly (and I don't mean this as a slam against you, sir!) I want to counter a particular argument to my rants which I have read a LOT.

"HEY! Writing DAW software is tough, jackass! That's why everyone has buggy software. Quit giving Steinberg a hard time. They're no worse than anyone else. You should SUPPORT them."

I hate that argument. First because it ain't true. And second because it just gives developers license to continue to put out betas as gold. Steinberg just needs to quit feeling that they have to deliver on a given date and test better. Forget what NI is doing or not doing.

I'm hoping to God that one of the two of them breaks away from the pack SOON. Halion -should- be able to with it's (previous) record of stability.

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rees
    You are right of course. But.......take out the word 'Steinberg' above, and substitute it with 'Native Instruments' or several other companies I can think of and the situation is the same (in NI's case, sometimes the '4 to 8 week' wait can at least be doubled though). It's not a Steinberg only issue.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Suntower
    But though you don't say it directly (and I don't mean this as a slam against you, sir!) I want to counter a particular argument to my rants which I have read a LOT.

---JC
    I know It is a pain. Continually we all find ourselves questioning how bugs that users find within 5 minutes of installing a new product can have been missed. There are a group of companies in my 'don't even think about using that new software for about 6 months' pile. Steinberg have got much better, and they have been very responsive to bug fixes in the last year or so. If they could just get to the stage of 'no showstopping bugs in a new release' they'd be amongst the best of the 'big boys' I'd say.

There are plenty of smaller developers who prove your argument that DAW software needn't be released in an unstable fashion. It CAN be done right. How much do I appreciate the likes of z3ta+, Imposcar, Rhino, Albino etc. etc. that have non intrusive copy protection, lightening fast bug fixes (only ever minor issues, because they do not release products with any showstoppers), and closely monitored support forums where you actually talk with the developer (this is without even talking about quality of product, which in all these cases is excellent or better).

These are people I trust, and WANT to give my money because they treat me right. I WANT to recommend them to other people.

As for Halion 3. I have the upgrade here. I haven't loaded it yet. When I get the word that it works as it should, I'll get to grips with it and I'm sure it'll be great.

Steve

The developers know we will buy new versions of their software eventually, so they just don't care because it's a level playing field.

I couldn't stream EWQLSO on my Mac for many months. The EWQLSO packaging and sales info said it would work well on my Mac. NI's DFD update was always "just around the corner." Meanwhile Halion 2 worked flawlessly on my Mac.

Now, EWQLSO Gold is working great on my Mac (finally.)

I have learned my lesson though. I have no plans to install Halion 3 until the first STABLE upgrade comes out.

It is unfortunate that all this is so predictable.

I for one have finally given up on Steinberg. The last straw was Halion3.
    I purchased it new, not as an upgrade. Since I primarily use Logic Pro on a Mac, I was looking forward to the AU compatibility that they advertised as well as the many features and glowing praise for Halion 2.
    Then I got hit with the showstoppers. Fairly constant random crashes, problems in the browser window with loading and unloading of patches, and a big one for me, only 1 stereo out!
    In its feature list it notes multiple output capability. It doesn't say anywhere "except in AU". So a week after being ignored on their forum, and tech support being pretty useless (weren't even aware themselves that it had this output limitation when I first mentioned it), a post was put up on their forum by one of the developers that said that they were aware of the AU output problem and would release an update to fix it "later this year". He also suggested that users list the problems that they encounter so that (paraphrasing) "we can all work together to sort all this out". Call me crazy, but I'm not interested in paying one cent for a product that doesn't do what it is supposed to do out of the box (minor glitches aside), and certainly not interested in paying money to Steinberg to be a beta tester. Unbelievable kahones!
    Patience gone, product returned, goodbye Steinberg.

Red face Re: FYI - HALion3 update coming soon...

RobbinsEgg - I don't blame you one bit.
    Last edited by Houston Haynes; 07-25-2004 at 02:47 PM. Reason: getting the handle right
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum