• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting a score into Logic

Share/Bookmark

Getting a score into Logic

Hello,

Ok, so I have a printed orchestral score and I'm trying to get it into logic. Right now, I'm entering each instrument by hand in the matrix editor (with the mouse), however it is a slow process. Is there a better way to do it, like entering it in Finale first then exporting the midi?

Also on an unrelated note, maybe you could answer this question which is related to reading the score. One instrument is a horn in E. There is no key signature and it is the trebble clef. The first note is middle C. Does this mean that I transpose that middle C a third up to E (and the rest of the notes accordingly)?

Thanks,
    carl

Re: Getting a score into Logic

To transpose the horn part, you're going to need to wait for the horn crook MIDI packet.

Just kidding. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know for sure... But my guess is yes. If it sounds like the horn player showed up drunk to the rehearsal, then I am probably wrong.

I probably have no business posting at all since I don't know logic, (I'm a DP guy). But the way I work is save the Finale file as a MIDI file, and in DP it is possible to just drag the midi file into the tracks window (I think logic has something which correlates). Even from DP I can open a MIDI file just using "open" from the file menu. While my other finale files are greyed out, the MIDI file can be opened. I would imagine Logic would have the same functionality.

For a horn in E, the transposition is actually down a minor 6th. (If it were a trumpet in E, the transposition would be up a major 3rd. Confused yet?)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thumbs up Re: Getting a score into Logic

Hi,

I'm new to these forums, sorry I did not post any sooner. Hopefully this will be seen by the person who is interested.

Yes, scores can be placed into Logic. The way to do it is to scan the score in using a regular scanner (nothing special there) then use software to convert the scanned image into musical notation, and my choice is here:

http://www.neuratron.com/

I use software called Photoscore Professional 3.

That will convert the image into music notes, and does a good job. From that program it can be saved as MIDI and imported into Logic to use with GPO or other instruments (or if you play an instrument, you can just read the music, too!).

I'm not as comfortable with the score editing features in Logic, so I use Harmony Assistant to make any edits to the scanned score. That software can be found here:

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/harmony.htm

At that point, it can be exported as MIDI (or lots of other formats) and imported into Logic.

I hope this helps.

Russ Conte

Quote Originally Posted by Majglow
    Hello,

Ok, so I have a printed orchestral score and I'm trying to get it into logic. Right now, I'm entering each instrument by hand in the matrix editor (with the mouse), however it is a slow process. Is there a better way to do it, like entering it in Finale first then exporting the midi?

Also on an unrelated note, maybe you could answer this question which is related to reading the score. One instrument is a horn in E. There is no key signature and it is the trebble clef. The first note is middle C. Does this mean that I transpose that middle C a third up to E (and the rest of the notes accordingly)?

Thanks,
    carl

look in the help menu for using step time entry. Basically you go to matrix editor, enable midi in, then logic steps ahead to next grid position after you release all keys you need for entereing a chord or note. The sustain pedal lets you enter rests or extend the value of the notes.

hey how about hiring a player to play the part in??

Yes, horn players are affordable.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum