• Register
  • Help

Topic: Loophole or just plain loopy?

Share/Bookmark

Loophole or just plain loopy?

I found a loophole in the contest rules for the GPO composition contest. It says there is no minimum instrumentation required. I have a great idea for the winning piece.

Click here to listen to my latest GPO piece “The Apples of the Moon” . Not a note is out of place. I mean, if it can’t be improved upon it has to win, right?

Can you tell I used a convolution reverb with an impulse recorded on the moon? I think it adds a great atmosphere (or lack there of).

I released this today to commemorate the 35th aniversary of the first moon landing.

This piece was obviously inspired by Cage. Yes, I was watching a Nicholas Cage movie and wanted to portray in music what seemed to be happening behind those eyes in one particular scene.

Anyway…. Wait a second…. What? You say there is a lawyer at the door representing Nicholas Cage talking about slander? Ed Slander from up the street? Tell him he has the wrong address.

Where was I? Oh yes….. What now? A lawyer from the estate of John Cage, something about copyright infringement? Tell him I gave at the office. Silly kids.

OK……Now what? Some guy named Styxx saying he is the only one allowed to post weird, off the wall posts on the GPO forum? What’s he talking about, I’m totally serious here…. Hold on, I’ll be back.
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 07-20-2004 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to add 35 anniversary of moon landing....
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Loophole or just plain loopy?

OK……Now what? Some guy named Styxx saying he is the only one allowed to post weird, off the wall posts on the GPO forum? What’s he talking about, I’m totally serious here…. Hold on, I’ll be back.
    Post away brother, I deserve a laught too!
    Mr. Burnhardt will be in touch with you soon.
    Styxx

Hmm...sounds to me like you used some John Cage samples in your piece....not fair!

Finally a piece that shows the softer side of samples, with everyone all caught up in capturing that Hollywood sound, it's nice to occasionally get away from that and listen to something good.

Brilliant post by the way!
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

If anyone is curious, here is a pdf of the score - http://trentsworld.com/music/postings/apples.pdf

OK, so I have too much time on my hands.
    Trent P. McDonald

Not only is that piece perfectly legitimate for the contest, but...

You've won!! And the orchestra has already performed your work! A recording of their performance is available here.

Personally, I thought your mock-up took it at a more appropriate tempo, but whatever...

trentpmcd

Excellent use of dynamic control (ppppppppp).

Loved the "solo", so lo(w) I could hardly hear it, but moved me to tears nonetheless.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum