• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: overclocking.. bad idea!!

Share/Bookmark

overclocking.. bad idea!!

heres a first. while mixing a complex piece with lots of convultion reverbs. i tried experementing with overclocking. (i have a asus p4c800e w.2.8mhz)
    i tried 10 percent then 20 and for the hell of it 30 percent.
    when i hit 30 the mobo stoped bootting !!. the screen is blank! so i can't get in the bios to reset it.. any ideas . is my ram / cpu mobo fried? has anyone been thru this??

Re: overclocking.. bad idea!!

Unlikely to be damaged - there should be a way to reset the BIOS settings using a jumper or a switch - do you have the manual for your motherboard?

Greg.

As Greg said, you can reset the BIOS or you might just need to wait for the machine to cool down if it got too hot.

Also, be careful if you are increasing the mHz through your PCI buss as it causes cards to run hotter and shortens their life. Not good if you have an expensive sound and video card!
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Red face Re: overclocking.. bad idea!!

yep it was to hot. I rebooted this morning and was able to get back into the bios to reset my cpu back to normal i think i'll stay away from those settings!

Smile Re: overclocking.. bad idea!!

Mike,

Actually overclocking is EXTREMELY SAFE if done in small increments! Asus is a great mobo to OC with. Your most important factor is your CPU temperature, your don't want it too hot. Go back and kick in the extra ten percent, you won't hurt it. I have OC'd many many chips and boards, and I do it now. Especially with convoluting reverbs!

i went back and installed another fan
    (lots of good info at extremoverclockers.com) and put one one my hard drives as well
    i keep the room temp colder. so far got the cpu at 33-37 c
    i overclock 2-10 percent when mixing but not much more( it melted at 30% after a ten hr session)! . also i notice there is a turbo peremater in the bios not much discussed in the manual . i leave it on.

thanks

Considering your hardware, there is no reason to over clock and most likely at 10% you won't realize the increased performance.
    Also if your machine shuts down unexpectly without a reboot it can corrupt some Windows systems files even where a system restore point will not bring it back.

Thumbs up Re: overclocking.. bad idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    Considering your hardware, there is no reason to over clock and most likely at 10% you won't realize the increased performance.
    Also if your machine shuts down unexpectly without a reboot it can corrupt some Windows systems files even where a system restore point will not bring it back.
    Monday I tried overclocking. Monday evening and all day Tuesday I reinstalled my OS and all of my software. kitekrazy speaks the 100% gospel truth. overclocking...bad idea!! Fine for some people, but I had a stable system for two years, then OC required reinstalling the operating system. I'm back to normal, which means only slightly slower than OC'ed, but very stable.

Yeah, I have to say, if your making music for a living, stability should be the no 1 priority. I could run my ram and CPU and other things at a high-performance setting in my bios, but I'll take the old, slow stability any day.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

i think you all right and i am staying awy from it. there does seem to be some industry for it( gamers i guess) what i can't figure out is the $ cost these people spend on this (in cooling and accessories) you might as well get a faster cpu!

Go Back to forum