• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which Balanced Cables?

Share/Bookmark

Which Balanced Cables?

Hi

Can anyone recommend some good balanced XLR cables and provide a link where I can get them.

Some cables are $100 per cable. I dont want to spend that much.

I want to hook up these MIC cables to my Powered Monitors.

Thanks

Caveman

Re: Which Balanced Cables?

Try Bayou Cables, he uses only the highest quality Canare cables and assembles them himself, Great Prices too!

http://members.cox.net/bayoucables/

Canare, Mogami, and Belden are the most common brands of cable. Mic cables use the same wire as "powered monitor" cables - they're the same thing.

I don't want to tell you how much I spent (more than $100 per), but I bought some tweak cables to go to my powered monitors - Tara Labs - and find the difference in sound worth it. You only buy them once, and then you have them for years.

You can find standard cables anywhere. Markertek is a good source.

You can also get cables from http://www.comprehensiveinc.com. They have Canare XLR plug to jack cables from $16.95 for 3 ft. up to $84.95 for 100 ft. They also carry the EXF brand, bulk cable, connectors, snakes and custom assemblies.

I haven't bought from them. I was just cleaning up the office and found their catalog in one of the paper piles.

-Jon Fairhurst

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    I don't want to tell you how much I spent (more than $100 per), but I bought some tweak cables to go to my powered monitors - Tara Labs - and find the difference in sound worth it.
    Tara Labs is nearby, and I hired one of their techs to help me with some soldering when I built my new studio (he wasn't that good, BTW). He told me they once sold a single guitar cable to Eric Clapton for $1,500! High tech designer cables are good, but they aren't superior enough to justify their often outrageous prices. I use "expensive" Apogee Wydeye cable for all my digital connections---but compared to Monster Cable it's a bargain!

Use four conductor twisted pair cable wherever possible. As Nick mentioned, Canare, Mogami and Belden are the most common wire used in studios. Belden has quality control issues and makes both good and bad cables, so I'd stick with Canare--especially for ready made cables. If you're making your own, Mogami doesn't braid their shields so it's a lot easier to work with. Another good option is Optima cable from Conquest Sound in Chicago.

hv

Here's a bulk supplier I use:

http://a2zcables.site.yahoo.com/

Pretty good prices on star quad spools and neutrics. Pick up a spool, some connectors, a soldering iron, and you'll be set for life. If you're not so fond of the smell of rosin in the morning, Pro Co Ameriquads are pretty comparable and not very expensive. Here's a link to American Musical Supply mic cable offerings:

http://www.americanmusical.com/sort--k-ARMC2--b-21.html

Howard

Any of you guys using those $700 power cables? What about D/A for the monitors.

Just wonderin'

KID-

lol, $700 Power Cables, did you see that discussion on the Gearslutz board?

I'm using a Benchmark DAC to my monitors, great converter.

He told me they once sold a single guitar cable to Eric Clapton for $1,500! High tech designer cables are good, but they aren't superior enough to justify their often outrageous prices.
    But how can you just come out and say that about every cable? I'm friendly with their local rep, Ty Long Ly, who came over and plugged in a $1000 cable between my Kurzweil K2000 (at the time) and patchbay. The run from the patchbay and mixer was regular Mogami snake. You could hear the difference right away.

On another occasion, we recorded into an SM57 (not the world's most detailed mic) through garden variety star quad (Canare or Mogami) and then through one of his cables, I believe a $180 one. It was equal to the difference between a cheap mic preamp and a tweak one. No comparison.

Believe me, I wouldn't have spent over $100 per cable (and I have four - two going to the sub, two going from the sub to sats) if it didn't make a serious difference. No, I certainly didn't spend $1500 for a guitar cord, but what the heck does Eric Clapton care? I'm sure he heard the difference too.

We spend much more on storage devices that go out of date every three years, so why not drop the money on something that's going to last a lifetime? That was how I justified it, anyway.

Tara Labs makes different grades of cables, by the way - it's not like everything is $1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    it's not like everything is $1500.
    I know! I was just using that as an example of an "outrageous" price. And if money were no object, believe me, I'd always prefer the peace of mind (if nothing else) that comes with using the very best cables. But examples like yours, where the difference between cables was as pronounced as the difference between low and high quality components, are pretty rare in my experience----not unheard of, but rare. The differences are usually more subtle. So when budget is an issue, we have to decide whether a one to five percent (or whatever) improvement is worth what can frequently be a multi-hundred percent increase in cost. And as you implied with your decision to buy killer cables for your monitors, there are places in the studio chain that are more critical than others, where going a little overboard can be better justified by anybody serious about their studios. I know I've done it!

Go Back to forum