• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Using Plants as Speakers

Share/Bookmark

Using Plants as Speakers

Yahoo News reports "People who like talking to their plants can now enjoy a musical accompaniment, thanks to a Japanese invention that turns petals and leaves into speakers. Several others are also reporting details of how it works." http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._japan_flowers

Called the "Flower Speaker Amplifiers", music is sent from a vase at just the right frequency and vibrates up the stems and then converted into audible sound by the plant as a whole.

Imagine plugging GPO into your houseplants!

Now you can really veg out and listen to music.

Gary Garritan

Re: Using Plants as Speakers

Quoting the great jazz saxophonist, Paul Desmond:
    "With fronds like this, who needs anemones"

I was wondering where my violin could be...
    Styxx

I saw something similar the other day but it was talking about using cardboard for speakers. I'll have to see if I can find that article somewhere. The reviewer was pretty impressed with the sound, but of course they're not going to compare to high end speakers.

Speakers out of cardboard

Wink Re: Using Plants as Speakers

I know some people who have used their blown speakers for planters. What an interesting reversal. Talk about Killing Me plants Softly With His Song.

Why stop with plants? I bet we, humans, could be used just as well! We wouldn't need anymore boom boxes, just plug into your favorite loud, obnoxious neighbor. I wonder if sweet people would give off a sweeter sound? Ah, technology, where will it lead next?

Right now in our greenhouses (I own a nursery business), we are planting about 6 thousand poinsettias for the upcoming Christmas season. Do you think they will play only Christmas music? Imagine if I could send different signals to different plants. the red ones could be the sopranos, the pink ones could be the altos, the white ones tenors, and the plumb colored ones the basses. When the local churches buy them this year they will have no need for choirs to sing seasonal music. What a show.

And by the way, Gary, where do you come up with these obscure little tidbits?

Hmmm... boy, times have sure changed. Last time I told my doctor about the houseplants talking to me, he wouldn't let me go back home for several weeks.

D.
    "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds"
    --Psalm 147:3

Hmm, I thought I heard it through the grapevine, but...

As long as my plant doesn't start yelling, "Feed me!"
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Do you think the process of getting these plants to make music is by converting photosynthesis into PHONOSYNTHESIS? I sure hope we come to the ROOT of this quickly in order to STEM the tide of silly plant jokes.

My oh my! In my garden they are all in harmony singing, "Sunshine...on my petals makes me happy!"
    Styxx

Go Back to forum