• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Why does America hate the planet?

Share/Bookmark

Why does America hate the planet?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    why should 280 million people out of 6 billion people consume most of the energy resources of the planet?

this is at the heart of so many of our problems as a planet
    it is ethically obscene for this situation to persist

with all this talk of hating America maybe the reality should be addressed

which is WHY DOES AMERICA HATE THE PLANET

@brady

it seems to me if our primary responsibility as a species is to our humanity given to all of our memebers , than it follows the conditions for all our survival should be our main objective, now it follows from this global perspective that Americans which are only 280 million of our species makes Americans an ethnic minority, this being the case

why are Americans given special treatment in terms of global trade?
    why are America's global symbols of culture forced either implicity or explicity down everyone's throat?
    why are Americans given Affirmative action type psychology on the global level?

i maintain that America and Americans as an ethnic minority must resume its proper position within the global community

Re: Why does America hate the planet?

Quote Originally Posted by charles
    why should 280 million people out of 6 billion people consume most of the energy resources of the planet?

this is at the heart of so many of our problems as a planet
    it is ethically obscene for this situation to persist

with all this talk of hating America maybe the reality should be addressed

which is WHY DOES AMERICA HATE THE PLANET
    While I understand the point, I don't agree with the sentiment. America is a huge consumer simply because it's huge and has the money and the technology and the resources to consume on a large scale.

The attitudes of many Americans, however, is no different than much of the rest of the world: the planet is disposable. People don't hate the planet. They simply don't care.

What do you mean by resources?

If you're referring to the generally accepted definition like fossil fuels, coal and wood then you have to realize that Americans use so much resources because we're a technologically advanced society that requires resources. I don't know the specific number but it's safe to say "a significantly smaller percentage of members of other societies" don't have the things that require resources like central heating and a/c, cars, computers, etc.. If America wasn't using the resources, they'd just be sitting there. Oil is a different story and is in more demand globally thanks to the technological advancement of other countries.

America's long-time economic might has led to our general advancement and resource usage, but don't think that China and Russia and other advancing societies aren't on the same path, they're just a decade or so behind us.

I think it's also important to understand that the same technology that leads to resource usage is a part of the technological progress that could potentially develop things that don't require resources. Solar energy, hydrogen fuel cells, even the Scram-jet they're messing with could lead to huge drops in the demand of resources. I think the development of these technologies should be the focus of our society. In my opinion, these things would develop faster if you let companies make profits and invest in R&D rather than over-tax companies and fund it publicly.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Quote Originally Posted by His Frogness

If you're referring to the generally accepted definition like fossil fuels, coal and wood then you have to realize that Americans use so much resources because we're a technologically advanced society that requires resources.
    this is no justification, you are in this situation because of the course you have chosen as a country, which has been totally out balance with the rest of humanity on both the spiritual and physical, i am not saying its only America, but your countries actions reverberate throughout the whole planet yet we do not get a vote on the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    I don't know the specific number but it's safe to say "a significantly smaller percentage of members of other societies" don't have the things that require resources like central heating and a/c, cars, computers, etc.. If America wasn't using the resources, they'd just be sitting there. Oil is a different story and is in more demand globally thanks to the technological advancement of other countries.
    this is very simplistic, many other countries have no choice, theres only so much oil in the ground, and power relationships determine peoples relationships to the enviroment and it resources

America's long-time economic might has led to our general advancement and resource usage, but don't think that China and Russia and other advancing societies aren't on the same path, they're just a decade or so behind us.
    i agree with you, and this is a scary prospect if predictions are true about levels of consumption

I think it's also important to understand that the same technology that leads to resource usage is a part of the technological progress that could potentially develop things that don't require resources. Solar energy, hydrogen fuel cells, even the Scram-jet they're messing with could lead to huge drops in the demand of resources. I think the development of these technologies should be the focus of our society. In my opinion, these things would develop faster if you let companies make profits and invest in R&D rather than over-tax companies and fund it publicly.
    I hope your right, this indeed would be the best scenario

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    While I understand the point, I don't agree with the sentiment. America is a huge consumer simply because it's huge and has the money and the technology and the resources to consume on a large scale.
    i dont think this is justification, i mean India and China are huge, sure the comparison ends there, but the reality is unless alternative means of energy are found, Americans as a Collective and a global ethnic minority have enjoyed a standard of living totally out of balance with the planet and the environment

Quote Originally Posted by robg
    The attitudes of many Americans, however, is no different than much of the rest of the world: the planet is disposable. People don't hate the planet. They simply don't care.
    i agree unfortunately that this does seem to be most peoples attitude and probably not just an American attitude, but never the less a very destructive attitude and if things dont change generations down the road will be paying for our greed and apathy

I work for a Japanese company, know many Japanese and have been to Japan many times. One of the things that really surprises my colleagues is how much energy we use in the US to heat and cool our houses. We, on the other hand, are surprised at how cold their (small) homes are in the Winter, and that their office air conditioners are turned off on the weekends in Summer, even though many come to work then. All you get is a crummy paper/plastic hand-operated fan to move the hot, humid air past your sweat.

The Japanese see energy as precious. Americans see comfort as precious. Hate is not a factor.

There is also a different balance between the individual and the group. In Japan there is high group loyalty. The idea of "we" is very strong. "We will work together to conserve energy". In America it's all about "me". "Why should I conserve? They won't. I don't want to be a patsy."

There's also a regional difference. In the mid-70s I lived in Santa Barbara. There was a drought. People there from San Francisco generally conserved water. People from LA generally watered their driveways. The funny thing is, LA is a natural desert and their water comes from far away. There's much more water in Northern California, but they experience the relationship between a drought's dry weather and the low streams first hand.

The problem isn't hate. It's selfishness, a distrust of others and a lifestyle that is far removed from nature.

That said, we are also damn resourceful. Hopefully we can devise a safe source of plentiful energy that has low environmental impact. And hopefully the development of that technology won't enable us to blow the planet to smithereens. Couple that technology with efficient desalinization, and we can live comfortably without destroying the planet. That's my hope for the day.

I used the word hate as an answer to the hate America post, but still selfishness, egotism or what ever you want to call, it is a disrespect towards others, its a kind of chauvinism, that doesnt show the acknowledgment of the feelings of others, and i think what has been happening in Iraq is a clear indication of total disrespect. I already know what will happen in terms of the Iraqi experience it will conveniently be forgotten in a very short time by the mass of people things will go back to normal , shure there will be some illusions of objective talk and rational civility, but dont be fooled its all pretense, because the conditions that allow a people to take a certain course of action are still here, thats why it seems to me with out a change in the outward conditions we can expect much of the same, maybe Bush will be the fall guy for this present mess, but will anything change?

Quote Originally Posted by His Frogness
    What do you mean by resources?

If you're referring to the generally accepted definition like fossil fuels, coal and wood then you have to realize that Americans use so much resources because we're a technologically advanced society that requires resources. I don't know the specific number but it's safe to say "a significantly smaller percentage of members of other societies" don't have the things that require resources like central heating and a/c, cars, computers, etc.. If America wasn't using the resources, they'd just be sitting there. Oil is a different story and is in more demand globally thanks to the technological advancement of other countries.

Suprisingly reasonable post. I'm proud of you.

Answer: Much of what you call “consumption” is actually PRODUCTION. You should be asking why America produces more than any other country on the planet, and why all the other countries pale by comparison. Incidentally, charles, Australia produces more greenhouse gasses per-capita than, IIRC, any other country. Why do Aussies hate the planet! Oh, and BTW, the resources we do consume that we didn’t produce ourselves, WE PAID FOR.

why are America's global symbols of culture forced either implicity or explicity down everyone's throat?
    Simple: We’re the largest exporter of culture in the world. Now does that mean we’ve forced our culture on others? Do we FORCE people to see our movies? Do we FORCE people to listen to our music? Do we FORCE people to watch our TV shows? Nope. People import our movies, shows, music, etc (in short, our culture) because they LIKE IT and because we produce more of it than anyone else. If you don’t like it, then stop watching our shows, our movies, and stop listening to our music. Simple as that.

why are Americans given special treatment in terms of global trade?

why are Americans given Affirmative action type psychology on the global level?
    You’ll have to explain what you mean here.

i maintain that America and Americans as an ethnic minority must resume its proper position within the global community
    If that means that our culture should become more obscure, then you have only yourselves to blame for consuming our culture.

this is very simplistic, many other countries have no choice, theres only so much oil in the ground, and power relationships determine peoples relationships to the enviroment and it resources
    That rings hollow. For instance, Europe gets a much higher percentage of its oil from the Gulf region than the US. Nobody’s stopping anyone else from getting resources.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    The Japanese see energy as precious. Americans see comfort as precious. Hate is not a factor.
    And don’t forget all those people who died last summer in France due to a lack of air conditioning.

As for all this talk of “egotism” and “selfishness”, you should all read Ayn Rand’s book The Virtue of Selfishness. The value system to which most of the world subscribes, that of Altruism, is thoroughly corrupt and is responsible for a great deal of the world’s suffering. It’s time people woke up and realized the full implications of what they believe, even if on a subconscious level.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    Answer: Much of what you call “consumption” is actually PRODUCTION. You should be asking why America produces more than any other country on the planet, and why all the other countries pale by comparison.
    Brady this is very simplistic, the point i was trying to make was one of environmental, ecological, ethical, moral balance, you havent addressed the question at all

Quote Originally Posted by Brady
    Incidentally, charles, Australia produces more greenhouse gasses per-capita than, IIRC, any other country. Why do Aussies hate the planet!
    Brady as far as i'm concerned Australia is just another state of the USA so its all the same to me, i shouldnt have used the word hate a more appropriate word would have been disrespect

Oh, and BTW, the resources we do consume that we didn’t produce ourselves, WE PAID FOR.
    this is such a sad reflection of your ethics Brady and i truly mean that, that you can make such a statement without even a hint of what is behind it

WE PAID FOR!!!! are you serious Foreign policy and the manipulation of the earths resources by a minority by theft and destruction of anyone who got in the way, all i can say is remember the indians

Simple: We’re the largest exporter of culture in the world. Now does that mean we’ve forced our culture on others? Do we FORCE people to see our movies? Do we FORCE people to listen to our music? Do we FORCE people to watch our TV shows? Nope. People import our movies, shows, music, etc (in short, our culture) because they LIKE IT and because we produce more of it than anyone else. If you don’t like it, then stop watching our shows, our movies, and stop listening to our music. Simple as that.
    Brady, by your answer one would have to deduce that exporting culture has nothing to do with manipulation on any level, do i really have to address the many ways cultures are exploited yet again

You’ll have to explain what you mean here.
    the connections i was trying to make here were from our other discussions regarding minorities, you made your position clear to me on the micro level, i.e in regards to government policy etc, but on the macro level , where your country is a global minority you totally ignore the all to obvious contradictions

If that means that our culture should become more obscure, then you have only yourselves to blame for consuming our culture.
    no i was only pointing out ethical and moral considerations based on respect for the enviroment and all its members, i have nothing against a lot of really great things that come out of America, that is not my problem at all, its the arrogance of dominant cultures that gets up my back, and not just the American culture i experience the same here with the dominant Australian groups as well

That rings hollow. For instance, Europe gets a much higher percentage of its oil from the Gulf region than the US. Nobody’s stopping anyone else from getting resources.
    Brady really , never heard of East Timor? and this has been the pattern , one of exploiting the enviroment for its resources, if anyone gets in the way bad luck, to suggest that everyone has the same oppurtunities for resources is absurd, Europe is not exactly a powerless third world country is it

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast