• Register
  • Help

Topic: McCain-Feingold bill impacts Michael Moore!

Share/Bookmark

McCain-Feingold bill impacts Michael Moore!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I hadn't heard of this before, but in the full text of the article excerpted here it is mentioned that the "campaign finance reform" bill signed into law was actually envoked in a complaint by a GOP front called "Citizens United" against Moore's film Fahrenheit 9/11. You can read the actual complaint here. Essentially, they're calling for the FEC to silence Moore's film until after the election, all based on the new "campaign finance" bill. And since the law is extremely unjust, they've got a real case. Under this incredibly moronic law, Moore's film actually qualifies as being illegal during this campaign period!

Also according to the article, "conservative" talk shows such as G. Gordon Liddy and others (interestingly, not including Rush Limbaugh) have hypocritically praised the complaint against Moore's film.

This is an OUTRAGE!!! It's time for this unprincipled hypocrisy to STOP! It's time for both sides to realize that the ends do NOT justify the means.

The McCain-Feingold law is a disastrous blow to our rights of free political speech. Unfortunately, this law has already passed the Supreme Court and the worst parts of it survived the encounter. Which essentially means that without Congressional repeal, it ain't goin' nowhere. We've got to put presure on Congress to repeal this blatant violation of our rights of free political speech - particularly as it negatively impacts our ability to criticize incumbents - which itself amounts to an inability to criticize the government.

Re: McCain-Feingold bill impacts Michael Moore!

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    I hadn't heard of this before, but in the full text of the article excerpted here it is mentioned that the "campaign finance reform" bill signed into law was actually envoked in a complaint by a GOP front called "Citizens United" against Moore's film Fahrenheit 9/11. You can read the actual complaint here. Essentially, they're calling for the FEC to silence Moore's film until after the election, all based on the new "campaign finance" bill. And since the law is extremely unjust, they've got a real case. Under this incredibly moronic law, Moore's film actually qualifies as being illegal during this campaign period.
    Actually, I believe it's the COMMERCIALS for his film that can be stopped under the bill.

If the film itself can be stopped, then we can stop Rush and Sean and Air America and 90% of what's broadcast on cable news.

I have not read the bill, but this reminds me of how dangerous it is to be able to "interpret" the constitution, or any laws for that matter. Laws were made for specific reasons and to interpret them in a way other than their intent leads to crap like this.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Actually, I believe it's the COMMERCIALS for his film that can be stopped under the bill.
    Correct, it essentially addresses paid advertising. Doesn't make it any less dumb.

There's a delicious irony here either way. If the repubs succeed, (and based on the law, they have a good case), Moore will scream censorship to the high heavens -- AND HE'LL BE RIGHT!!!

If Moore prevails, then a huge loophole will have been ripped through McCain-Feingold that both sides can expoit. Just finance a documentary, get it shown in a few theaters and run a nation-wide ad blitz.

Talk about a classic case of pure bi-partisan stupidity!!!
    - Layne

Go Back to forum