• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem with Sonar Modulation data

Share/Bookmark

Problem with Sonar Modulation data

Hi,
    I'm having a strange problem with Sonar that is driving me crazy. When I record modulation(volume) data with the mod wheel into Sonar it doesn't show up in the piano roll window in the controllers pane. It is weird because the data shows up in the event list. When I go in and delete all of the controller messages in the even list and then go back and draw them in the controller pane it is fine. And when I don't realize that there is mod wheel controller data on a track and I draw some in both sets of data completely conflict with each other. I'm using Sonar 2. Any Sonar users out there having this problem or know how I can fix it? This is a huge issue right now in terms of interrupting the creative process and it creates a very messy file. Being the data neat freak that I am, me no likey the messing controller data. And most of all I can't stand the way it destroys the sound when there is conflicting data. Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Re: Problem with Sonar Modulation data

This happened to me, and it turned out that I was drawing controller data on the wrong channel.

For instance, I would record a GPO track on, say, channel 5, but later if I wanted to edit the data, sometimes I would fail to make sure I was viewing the data on the same channel. I would end up drawing curves on channel 3 or whatever, but the controller data for channel 5 would still be there, and of course the two data streams would conflict with each other, producing a horrible effect.

Could this be the problem?
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Dan,
    I think this probably is the problem and I was wondering if somehow the channel had something to do with it. Question, if you record on say track 5 and say track five is sending midi on channel 3 will it record that data to channel 3? I guess I always assumed that the controller data would write to and send to the same channel as the instrument in that track. Any ideas on how I can make sure I am recording data to the same channel so when I open a clip I see the controller data associated with that track? Thanks for your help btw, this is very helpful.

Andrew

You're controller is probably set to output data on Channel 1. Just change the channel under the controller number to Channel 1 and all data associated with this track will appear.

I prefer to always leave controller data on channel 1 in the the piano roll view as it makes it easier to view modulation data for multiple tracks.

OK, so even though all controller data will transit on channel 1, each track can still have seperate controller info?

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    You're controller is probably set to output data on Channel 1. Just change the channel under the controller number to Channel 1 and all data associated with this track will appear.

I prefer to always leave controller data on channel 1 in the the piano roll view as it makes it easier to view modulation data for multiple tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Foust
    Hi,
    I'm having a strange problem with Sonar that is driving me crazy. When I record modulation(volume) data with the mod wheel into Sonar it doesn't show up in the piano roll window in the controllers pane.
    Select "All Channels" from the Channel dropdown list in the piano roll window in the controllers pane.

Being the data neat freak
    Any ideas on how I can make sure I am recording data to the same channel so when I open a clip I see the controller data associated with that track?
    After you recorded events (including mod wheel data) on say track 5, SELECT THE TRACK, use Process-Interpolate to convert events on different channels to a specific channel. Track 5 will have all events on channel 5 if you specify Search range: From 1 to 16 and Replacement range: from 5 to 5.
    In the event list you'll see all data on channel 5.

Andrew, what matters for sequencer - is a data on a track and channel assosiated with that track.
    For example:
    Track 10 is assigned to channel 5
    Track 10 has some events (notes ) assigned to channel 7
    Track 10 has some events (controller data) assigned to channel 15
    During playback sequencer will send all data on track 10 to channel 5. It won't send notes to 7 and controller data to 15.

Regards,
    sfiks
    sfiks

That did the trick. Thanks a bunch to everyone. This sure makes life a lot less difficult now.

Go Back to forum