• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lonnnnggggg Save times

Share/Bookmark

Lonnnnggggg Save times

I posted this in the Sample library discussion baord, I assume this is a more appropriate place...sorry!

Hello All,
    I was not sure where to post this question, so I\'ll start here. I\'m working on a library for GigaStudio.
    My current headache is I\'m working with 176 MB of 24 bit Suspended Slate Rock samples (have I lost my mind?... not totally, but I\'m definitely feeling like I have rocks on my head lately).

Anyway.... I\'m making \"smaller\" instruments out of this very large selection of individual hits. What is quite irritating is each time I build a keymap say of just 6 samples....I get the old you need to save message from the RELAOD bar. The Instrument editor seems to be saving ALL 176 MB of samples again. Is this really necessary? The save time is ridiculously slow and tedious. I find it really hard to get any kind of programming \"flow\" going at all.

I\'m really a Mac guy......I\'m using a PC soley for the develoment of Giga soundware. Are there any ways I can streamline this process?
    I\'m using a 400mhz PC (perhaps too slow?).
    I realize that Giga is not a RAM based system...I would sure like to see it be an option for programming in the Instrument Editor.. (to use it as a RAM based system). I realize that when working with say a 1 Gig piano, this would become a problem. but it sure would be nice to have that option for \"smaller banks such as these\". Perhaps the hard drive is just a bit too fragmented.

Also..... quite frequently when I do hit RELOAD, very often the sound is NOT reloaded into Giga for playback. I usually have to restart Gigastudio and reload the bank, from there go to the Instrument Editor and the program is auditionable again. Am I missing anything really basic here?

thanks for any suggestions!

------------------
    Dennis Burns Bolder Sounds Boulder Colorado

<A HREF=\"http://boldersounds.com

\" TARGET=_blank>http://boldersounds.com

</A> CD ROMS \"Eclectic\" - \"Granular\" - & \"Bolder Pianos\"

for Gigasampler, Akai, Kurzweil & Emu Samplers.

Re: Lonnnnggggg Save times

I was a Mac evangelist as well, however now I have a 1 Gig pc with all bells and whistles and it functions better then a Mac, so the \"Mac is better in audio/midi apps\" theory no longer works for me (and others) don\'t get me wrong I hate M$ but the application development and availability is way better then for Mac.

As for your question, yep your system is way to slow, a 400 Mhz will only give headaches, so please upgrade to a vast system to do yourself a favour.

Hi Dennis,

Please check your signature, I tried to click the link to your home page, which did not work. There is (for some reason) a paragraph tag in the link.

I quickly checked a few demos: great stuff! I will definitely listen more carefully to all of them later!

Cheers,

Peter

Wow you are really helping the man Petertje

Well..... I wouldn\'t call myself an \"Mac evangelist\". I just use what works, and since I\'ve invested so much time as well as software expenses into the Mac it makes sense for me to stay with it (for now). But somewhere down the road I do see a faster PC in my future.

Anybody have any clues for me on the second thing I mentioned in my post? Correct me if I\'m wrong (I very well may be). When in the instrument editor...If I have 10 instruments. Lets say I\'m working on instrument #1, I should be able to select a instrument (say #5 ), then hit the RELOAD button and audition it for editing purposes...right? This rarely works. Am I misunderstanding the RELOAD feature?

I find myself going into GigaStudio and refreshing the database and then loading and selecting the program I want from within GigaStudio.... this can\'t be the right, can it?

best wishes!

------------------
    Dennis Burns Bolder Sounds Boulder Colorado

<A HREF=\"http://boldersounds.com

\" TARGET=_blank>http://www.boldersounds.com/

</A> CD ROMS \"Eclectic\" - \"Granular\" - & \"Bolder Pianos\"

for Gigasampler, Akai, Kurzweil & Emu Samplers.

sorry....just figuring out why my web address wasn\'t working in the signature.

------------------
    Dennis Burns - Bolder Sounds - Boulder Colorado
    http://www.boldersounds.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis B:
    Anybody have any clues for me on the second thing I mentioned in my post? Correct me if I\'m wrong (I very well may be). When in the instrument editor...If I have 10 instruments. Lets say I\'m working on instrument #1, I should be able to select a instrument (say #5 ), then hit the RELOAD button and audition it for editing purposes...right? This rarely works. Am I misunderstanding the RELOAD feature?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each time you hit the reload button you will hear the first instrument in your instrument list. To hear another instrument simply highlight it in the instrument window.

Go Back to forum