• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some music to share.

Some music to share.

Yeah I know me again, well I guess all of you didn't agree with my style of battle music or the magical piece, "Haliphen's Theme". Perhaps you would offer some critique on these pieces:

The Great Hall (demo):
    Final Resolution (demo):
    The Rider (demo):

Yes, these are all demos since I think I will record all midi tracks to seperate audio tracks eq, pan, then mix and apply reverb. I believe that is how the pros do it.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Some music to share.

What's the bitrate on those MP3s? 1100kbs?

Just kidding. They just took a long time to load up.

Are you using EWQLSO? The violins sound like that library and I haven't figured out exactly what I don't like about them other than the attack sounds unconvincing. Overall they're very nice pieces and I thought they were mixed very well. They do sound a bit dry. The unconvincing attacks would be greatly concealed with some more verb. I wouldn't put too much faith in the practice of burning every instrument to it's own track. I used to do that consistently but, like the old adage goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There's a lot in your piece that ain't broke.

I like the last one a lot, it reminds me of Soul Calibur. Keep it up!
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

Actually I am using the GOS Update strings (ashifs hollywood strings), ultimate strings (violins european tuning, violas expressive, cellos european tuning), vsl violin, viola, cello, basses. Maybe I should not use one of the above libs listed, if so what would you recommend. Also I am not sure how real strings sound since I have only been to one live orchestra. Do they tend to swell from soft to louder (not a big change just a softer attack?). I found that ultimate strings has a warmth to it while it has ALOT of air in the samples. gos is very tender yet sounds a little too perfect, perhaps I should just use the regular patches of gos instead?

Thanks in advance,

I think I left you with the wrong impression.

The articulations you chose are fine and the dynamics you use are fine.

I was referring mostly to the inability of libraries to be 100% convincing. The unconvincing aspect of libraries, in my experience, tends to be on the attack of a note. It wasn't rampant in your pieces, just here and there. As I suggested before, if you put a bit more verb on the track it might help conceal it. Beyond that, scrutinizing velocity can help. Just adding or subtracting one or two to the velocity can have an effect. Some of these guys get really deep into CC messages to get more convincing performances, especially with GOS. If one of my parts is sounding unconvincing, I'll try and add another layer to that part with a different articulation.

With some GOS performance files I believe the bow striking the string sound and the following note the violin plays are 2 different sounds layered together. This has the potential of creating that unconvincing effect but you should notice it immediately once you play the part solo'ed. Just be aware of it. You want a nice balance between the bow sound and the string sound. Adjusting the velocity or adding another articulation to Port 2 (I assume you're using Giga) can remedy this.

Don't worry about live orchestras. We're not trying to make it sound live, we're trying to make it sound like a live recording. That's my take anyway

People tend to characterize EWQLSO as "cinematic" or "Hollywood" and if you're going for a modern film score sound you might want to buy this library.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

Go Back to forum