• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Experimental Piece

Share/Bookmark

Experimental Piece

Hey, just wondering what everyone thinks of my new experimental piece, "Illusory Fields of Pink and Blue". I used mainly free soundfonts and the free G-Town stuff. The synth sounds are all "home-made". I just took some free soundfonts and mangled them beyond recognition.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/DownloadSong.cfm?ID=1438909

Thanks!

Re: Experimental Piece

It has a minimalist feel to it and I like it. Excellent. Well done.

Thank you very much, Paul!

I'm not used to doing this kind of stuff, so harsh criticism is welcome!

Hi Greatzed, I'm very curious to listen, but there's a way to listen without subscription?

Luca

ok...no problem...

that's an original one...it has a overall good sound and feel...

Just I find somethind strange in the timing on some parts, maybe due to no quantization or to the sync of the synth arpeggios.

I've to say that I like it.

Luca

Thanks, Lux! Sorry, I had no idea that you had to subscribe to soundclick to hear stuff. I don't remember it ever being that way.

If anyone else wants to hear it, just go to my page and the song is there.

Quote Originally Posted by greatzed
    Thank you very much, Paul!

I'm not used to doing this kind of stuff, so harsh criticism is welcome!
    Thats no problem Greatzed. Just to calrify. I don't go in for harsh critique on open forums when its about others hard work and effort. Its no secret that my main enjoyment of the two forums is listening to others work. If I don't like something musically after hearing, I don't comment, unless there is an obvious recording/technical/rendering problem that messes up the overall experience. If I comment on it musically, it means I genuinely like it, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
    Regarding Luca's issue with the timing, I think its more to do with interesting rythmical phrasing within what is basically a common time framework, which I find unusual and refreshing. If you chopped up this piece as it were, into smaller sections, its the kind of thing that would be useful in say, advertising, for example. So that can't be bad can it?

Best

PR

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Thats no problem Greatzed. Just to calrify. I don't go in for harsh critique on open forums when its about others hard work and effort. Its no secret that my main enjoyment of the two forums is listening to others work. If I don't like something musically after hearing, I don't comment, unless there is an obvious recording/technical/rendering problem that messes up the overall experience. If I comment on it musically, it means I genuinely like it, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
    Regarding Luca's issue with the timing, I think its more to do with interesting rythmical phrasing within what is basically a common time framework, which I find unusual and refreshing. If you chopped up this piece as it were, into smaller sections, its the kind of thing that would be useful in say, advertising, for example. So that can't be bad can it?

Best

PR
    Hi Paul,

Mine was not a critique at all, but a personal impression.
    I'm sure Greatzed will take it as it is, and not as something harsh.
    Also I was referrring to the main time framework, not to the unusual parts, I think I'm able to recognize the original textures that Greatzed introduced inside his piece and to appreciate them...I'm not a quite 4/4 guy ...

Luca

Quote Originally Posted by Lux
    Hi Paul,

Mine was not a critique at all, but a personal impression.
    I'm sure Greatzed will take it as it is, and not as something harsh.
    Also I was referrring to the main time framework, not to the unusual parts, I think I'm able to recognize the original textures that Greatzed introduced inside his piece and to appreciate them...I'm not a quite 4/4 guy ...

Luca
    Of course not. There was no implication of that at all actually. I was merely responding to Greatzed's answer to me. No worries Luca. I personally thought your response was thoughtful and correct.

Hi Nigel, I like the piece, I think it is quite original. My only slight criticism would be to watch the timing in a few places, the piece has a nice groove but some of the instruments are upsetting it by being a little too late. (A little late is good of course as this is groove. ) When the timing is too far out I think it takes you out of the enjoyment aspect of the song which is really quite good.

Only my opinions here though - feel free to take or leave them!
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Go Back to forum