• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best Orchestra in AU flavour?

Share/Bookmark

Best Orchestra in AU flavour?

Hi everyone, this is my first post so go easy!

I hope to be making the move from PC to Mac OSX soon (1 Ghz powerbook) and that means leaving behind my Edirol HQ Orchestral plugin - it doesn't support Audio Units and I'm a Logic user.

Could anyone recommend an alternative orchestra that comes in Audio Units flavour? I'm looking at GPO and the EWQL Silver edition, so that should tell you what my budget is (not much cash to spare after the Mac!) I've heard thousands of demos but I'm torn between the two: EWQLSO seems to have better quality sounds but what's it like to program? Does it have enough articulations to make it useable? Likewise, GPO has an intuitive expression control, but will my powerbook be able to cope with a plugin that runs entirely in RAM? I'm particularly concerned about the brass sounds as these can instantly give away the "midification" of a piece if they're not up to scratch.

If anyone has any experience of running these programs in Logic 6, or even just OSX, I would be grateful for any advice. If it helps, my composition style probably reflects Bartok and Debussy. Thanks.

Great forum btw, I'm glad I found it.

Re: Best Orchestra in AU flavour?

What's cool about the NI Kompakt player for East West is the new DFD (Direct From Disk) update from Native Instruments. To me this is crucial point because if you're running a lot of plugs in Logic (especially Altiverb) they'll eat RAM. The disk streaming feature works like a charm in Logic - only a small portion of the beginning part of the sample gets loaded whereas the rest is streamed from the hard drive.

Running GPO on a PC doesn't seem like a problem - lots of folks are using it with great success; however I have heard reports that there were memory issues with Mac in the past (yes, even the venerable Mac G5) which I'm not sure were resolved in the GPO NI Kontakt Player. (Perhaps someone can enlighten us with updated news.)

Personally I like using a disk streaming system when running Logic. If I were to go with GPO perhaps I would get the full version of Kontakt (with disk streaming) and stream the samples instead of having to load a large orchestral mockup in RAM alone, which seems to give Macs a problem currently (if the issue still remains.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick
    ...If I were to go with GPO...
    The next update for GPO will include disc-streaming, I have the beta of it and it is working very well for me. I am working on a Pentium 4 2.4GHz w/ 768MB of RDRAM.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Thanks for the update Alan. Any beta testers using Mac? I have a Mac G5 Dual 2gHz w/1.5GB ram so if Gary needs one I'm your man

I'm not sure but some of the smaller packages from VSL may suit your budget. They use the ESX24 sampler. You may want to check out those as well.

Performance of products such as GPO and Silver using the NI engines are much better on the PC. You would be moving backwards going to a 1 GHz Powerbook. You may want to post in the East West or Garritan forums and see what kind of performance other users are getting and what kind of issues before changing over.

Daedalus is right - you can squeeze a lot of processing into your mixes using EXS. Some of the VSL Horizon series looks promising.

The lowest price I see for any VSL product is over $1000, so what are you talking about? Both Silver and GPO are in the $300- price range, so I wouldn't say they fit in the same budget. Am I missing something?

True - but I was talking about the VSL Horizon series - not a complete orchestra but the individual parts. Epic Horns goes for $395, Woodwind ensemble for $410, Solo Strings for $445, and so on. I agree its not the cheapest out there.

Post Re: Best Orchestra in AU flavour?

Funkie Pie:
    I«m using Logic Pro, OSX, You can use without problems EWQLSO silver. If you want use Gold you«ll need 2 gigs RAM.
    YouÇll find much better performance with exs24 II . Maybe you can try VSL opus 1 ($999) or other exs format libraries. I«m using SISS strings, sam horns, trumpet, and many giga translated libraries without problems in EXS.
    YouÇll need external firewire hd to run samples. YouÇll obtain better performance with g4 desktop and ATA HD@7200. or much better with g5 and SATA HD.

Elith

Go Back to forum