• Register
  • Help

Topic: GStudio and a new P4 1.6 Ghz

Share/Bookmark

GStudio and a new P4 1.6 Ghz

Hey guys,

I\'m the proud owner of a new P4 1.6 Ghz. I have Windows 98SE loaded on it and have been trying to get GStudio running properly. (The Tascam 822 card is my sound interface.) I have two major issues:

1) If I go to settings, I can\'t open the \"Sampler\" tab or \"SConv\" tab without getting this message \"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.\" This is very frustrating.

2) The second, and perhaps more concerning problem is that GStudio appears to be seeing my machine as a 520mhz P3. This is what it shows in diagnostic mode. (CPU ID f12.) Not only does it see that in diagnostic mode, when I opened an old performance, the CPU meter read 117 or 118 %. I had maybe like 3 reverbs! No way that\'s filling this processor.

Any ideas?!

Thanks!

Cody

P.S. Do I need to upgrade to Windows XP?

Re: GStudio and a new P4 1.6 Ghz

Incorrectly reporting the CPU and usage for P4\'s is a known bug in 2.2. Functionally, everything is fine.

Upgrade to v2.5, which is a free download.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 02-24-2002).]

Hi Cody,

I\'m on Win98se as well with GS160. As Bill said, incorrect reporting of CPU specs is a known bug.
    I\'d be more concerned with 1).
    Have you cleared everything out of your systray? That is one thing I found important.
    After you do, make sure you shut down. Then restart. This has been an important step for me. Just restarting wouldn\'t help, in my case. As we have dfferent systems, this may not help, buy it is one more thing to try, if you haven\'t already. Good luck!

Regards,

Jim Clark

No, XP is a suckOS.. I have a rocksolid monster DAW on WinME (absolute minimal install and utterly tweaked) do the same please and skip XP or 2000 etc.. You\'ll end up happy as a pro musician and soundengineer deserves.

[This message has been edited by pendragon (edited 02-24-2002).]

Hey Cody,

I was actually going to suggest you come over here and check this place out. Looks like you already found it!

Gav

Hey Gav,

I live on these forums! Even when I don\'t have problems of my own I\'m always checking them out- what a great resource!

Cody

Pendragon,

You have it backwards. Win ME is the SuckOS, XP rules!! Win ME is the worst OS Microsoft has ever released. Win XP is quite stable and doesn\'t crash like ME and 98.

I\'ve been running Sonar XL and GigaStudio on the same machine in XP with very few problems. Only problems are caused by a couple beta drivers I\'m testing - that\'s why they\'re still beta! I could never get Sonar and Giga to work correctly on my Win 98 SE machine - certain functions would always crash the machine which would mean a reboot everytime. Never have to reboot in XP!

> You have it backwards. Win ME is the SuckOS

My thoughts exactly.

Go Back to forum