• Register
  • Help

Topic: question on sonar and giga

Share/Bookmark

question on sonar and giga

Hi I was wondering, Does sonar need to be on same computer as gigastudio? if it's on a separate computer how do I get them to talk to each other? I have several midi files I made from several years back and I'm trying to figure out how to use my samples instead of the midi files to make them sound more convincing but I'm too new to these 2 systems to know how to hook em up. Thanks!

Seth
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Re: question on sonar and giga

[QUOTE=žeth]Hi I was wondering, Does sonar need to be on same computer as gigastudio?

Doesn't NEED to, but works well under light to moderate load. Very convenient. Even more so when GIGA 3 comes out.
    if it's on a separate computer how do I get them to talk to each other? I have several midi files I made from several years back and I'm trying to figure out how to use my samples instead of the midi files to make them sound more convincing but I'm too new to these 2 systems to know how to hook em up. Thanks!

There are a few different ways to do that.
    One involves MIDI over LAN, where SONAR triggers GIGA on the second system and GIGA sends audio through an audio card to the SONAR system's audio card. SONAR then records that audio. Clumsy and unnecessarily expensive.

Another involves a relatively new device called GVA/FXT, where my understanding is, that both the audio from GIGA and the MIDI from SONAR travel along the connecting cable ....

Those "older and wiser" will please jump in ....

Go Back to forum