• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need "dark" Impulse Response...

Need "dark" Impulse Response...

When I started the rock opera I'm working on, I started it with co-composer Darryl Kinley on a four-track in his basement.

The recordings, though crude demos, had a great "dark" quality of the room acoustics - I am looking to reproduce that with an impulse? We have begun mocking-up final renditions of some of the tracks with samples and we're missing that "full" sound we had on the four-track.

The basement had cement floors, with a small (10' by 10') wooden stage we built, cement walls and wooden celine (first-floor's floor). The heat and AC and bathroom pipes snaked around us in all directions. The whole thing summed up was a wonderfully full sounding, mellow, dark tone in its reverberation.

I tried EQ'ing the highs out of an existing Impulse I have, but that really didn't work. Is the only way to recreate this "dark" quality to take an impulse of a similar basement?
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: Need "dark" Impulse Response...

Apart from sampling the original room-response, you could try to re-create it with Voxengo's Impulse Modeler, too.

-> http://www.voxengo.com/imodeler/

Thanks Dietz,

I demo'ed their Prestine Space, but must have over-looked this one. I'll give it a try, seeing how he doesn't live in that house anymore, I probably shouldn't go around shooting starter-pistols off... hehehe.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Alan, you may create a 'dark' (highly damped) room out of any reverb response in Pristine Space. Low-pass filter envelope works great for this.

Go Back to forum