• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt vs. Kompakt

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt vs. Kompakt

I'm just about to install the Komplete 2 package on my new G5, and being heretofore completely unfamiliar with NI's sampling software, I'm wondering if there's any reason to install Kompakt when one has Kontakt. Isn't Kompakt just a "lite" version of Kontakt?

Re: Kontakt vs. Kompakt

Quote Originally Posted by seanmccoy
    I'm just about to install the Komplete 2 package on my new G5, and being heretofore completely unfamiliar with NI's sampling software, I'm wondering if there's any reason to install Kompakt when one has Kontakt. Isn't Kompakt just a "lite" version of Kontakt?

I cannnot speak from personal experience, but I've been doing my own research, and pulled this from my collection of links. It does explain some differences/ advantages/ disadvantages.

Until someone who knows shows up, it might help.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/review_of_kompakt.htm

Michael>

Thanks, Michael. It's as I thought---though I was surprised to read that Kontakt can't load Kompakt instruments. So the only reason to have both is if there are some Kompakt instruments you can't live without.

Quote Originally Posted by seanmccoy
    Thanks, Michael. It's as I thought---though I was surprised to read that Kontakt can't load Kompakt instruments. So the only reason to have both is if there are some Kompakt instruments you can't live without.
    Actually its the other way around - Kompakt (8 midi channel version) has a difficult time loading Kontakt (16 midi channel version) samples. KONTAKT is the flagship software sampler of Native Instruments. Kompakt is it's little brother - does a lot, but if you're looking for performance, go KONTAKT.

Indeed - I load Kompakt instruments in Kontakt all the time.

But I can't tell you about functionality; I'm a newbie myself.

Go Back to forum