My arrangement of "Misty"

Here is my arrangement of the Errol Garner tune, "Misty":

http://www.alexandermusic.com/musicfiles1/Misty.mp3

Is it live or is it Memorex?

Regards,

Larry A.

Re: My arrangement of "Misty"

Great composition, great movie!

My interest in electronic computer music arose from the time I first heard an orchestral electronic organ in the earlier 80s. I've heard many top players playing orchestral pieces in this style and......

call me stupid but this sounds very much like someone playing one.....(Technics, Yamaha or Kawai) and that's not necessarily a negative comment ....and not just because you use organ during it !

GPO.......I don't think so....

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Great composition, great movie!

My interest in electronic computer music arose from the time I first heard an orchestral electronic organ in the earlier 80s. I've heard many top players playing orchestral pieces in this style and......

call me stupid but this sounds very much like someone playing one.....(Technics, Yamaha or Kawai) and that's not necessarily a negative comment ....and not just because you use organ during it !

GPO.......I don't think so....

Frank
    Frank,

Part of the arrangement is GPO but not the organ.

I do not have Technics, Yamaha or Kawai equipment.

I consider it a compliment that you thought "someone" was playing the jazz organ part if you actually meant it that way. Thank you. Actually, I entered each note one by one into my sequencer with my trusty, handy-dandy, roadrunner, Acme brand mouse. Meep! Meep!

Regards,

Larry A.

My very humble apologies Larry....I thought I had you nailed!! I'm a mouse enterer myself.....ought to know better! It's a compliment to someone though....

Frank

Very nice. What did you use for drums?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Very nice. What did you use for drums?
    The drums are pretty much standard General MIDI sounds.

Regrettably, I didn't spend sufficient time on the rhythm and it is not up to my standards. In my opinion it sucks and I need to redo it.

Regards,

Larry A.

Thumbs up Re: My arrangement of "Misty"

Must have play Misty several thousand million times in the past 30 years! The best is to use a brush effect if you can with some light stick hits on the accents. Lighten up on the kick and use a more ambient sample if you have one. By lightening up I mean not so many syncopated rhythmic gestures. Misty is normally a slow ballad feel. This is a great example where a "sizzle" cymbal effect would give it that 40's jazz flavor. Are you using the keyboard to program in the drum track? Regardless, this is an exciting change from the usual post. Would like to hear you do “Take The A Train”!
    Just the percussionist in me (or should I say, the concussionsist?)
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Must have play Misty several thousand million times in the past 30 years! The best is to use a brush effect if you can with some light stick hits on the accents. Lighten up on the kick and use a more ambient sample if you have one. By lightening up I mean not so many syncopated rhythmic gestures. Misty is normally a slow ballad feel. This is a great example where a "sizzle" cymbal effect would give it that 40's jazz flavor. Are you using the keyboard to program in the drum track? Regardless, this is an exciting change from the usual post. Would like to hear you do “Take The A Train”!
    Just the percussionist in me (or should I say, the concussionsist?)
    I thought that you were a musician and it turns out that you are a drummer instead. Just kidding! Just kidding! (One of the many drummer jokes.)

I'm an old jazz musician and I have worked many thousands of gigs with big bands and small jazz groups in the past. I'm an acoustic bass player.

Yes, "Misty" is a great old standard and one of my favorites. I will re-work the drum parts as soon as I can.

I wrote a rip-roaring arrangement of "...A Train" several years ago. Now, if I can just find it.

Regards,

Larry A.

Thumbs up Re: My arrangement of "Misty"

I wrote a rip-roaring arrangement of "...A Train" several years ago. Now, if I can just find it.
    Cool! That would be awesome!
    Styxx

Larry,

Wait for Tom's GPO Big Band update before you redo this piece. It's going to have some great stuff that will work great in this arrangement.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast