• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Survey: How Many GPO Instruments can you load in your computer.

Share/Bookmark

Question Survey: How Many GPO Instruments can you load in your computer.

We would like to know how many GPO Instruments you can load into your computer.

It would be useful to know this information and this will help inform as to what can expected on various computers. It will also help to determine if the upcoming player update is more efficient.

Please let me know:
    • How many GPO Instruments you can load (before running into any problems). "Dry" instruments only please.
    • Whether you have Mac or PC
    • Your processor type (Intel/AMD,Motorola, etc.)
    • Your processor speed (very important)
    • Amount of RAM
    • Your host (your sequencer, or GPO Studio with notation).
    You can post your experiences here, PM or email me. I will tally the results, do an instrument/performance analysis and provide the results in graph form at the end of the poll.

Thank you for your help and participation.

Gary Garritan

Re: Survey: How Many GPO Instruments can you load in your computer.

Here we go...

How many GPO Instruments you can load - 16 (comfortably)
    Whether you have Mac or PC - PC
    Your processor type (Intel/AMD,Motorola, etc.) - Intel
    Your processor speed (very important) P4 2.66
    Amount of RAM - 512Mb
    Your host (your sequencer, or GPO Studio with notation). - Sonar 3.1.1 / Finale2001

XP Pro SP1

This weekend sees 2Gb RAM and Finale 2004 upgrade so it will be interesting to compare. I can load 24 instruments but the PC gets very sloooowww.

Hope this helps

Tony

Gary,

Some of these are "it depends" kind of questions. Could you clarify what you mean by "instruments". For instance, it could be only a single piano, or many woodwinds, brass, etc. and whether dry or wet. Also, it is a question of whether you mean just load, or load and play without any issues. I can load a full orchestra on my work machine, but when I play it back, depending on how many instruments are playing at once, it stutters occasionally.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Martin,

Please test only dry instruments. Many brass, woodwind, strings and percussion (typical orchestra) prefered. Load and play as many as you can at once without running into problems.

Gary Garritan

Gary,

Given that the piano isn't one of them, I can load and play about 20 before problems arise with SIR running and can get 35-45 without SIR - keep in mind I don't have the minimum amount of suggested RAM though.

I have a PC, Pentium 4 2.4GHz w/ 533mHz FSB (front-side bus), 768 MB or PC1066 (533mHz) Rambus RDRAM and all of those pretty letters and numbers are controlling Cubase SX 2.02
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Gary, do you want list over what patches are used? Or just the number of patches/instruments?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Just number of instruments. It's not necessary to list the instruments. A range is fine, e.g. 45-50 instruments.

Gary Garritan

Here go's:

How many GPO Instruments you can load: 60-70 (maybe more)
    Whether you have Mac or PC: PC
    Your processor type: Intel P4
    Your processor speed: 2.8 GHz
    Amount of RAM: 2 GB
    Your host: Sonar 3.1.1
    Polyphony: Approx. 200 stereo voices

I have yet to max out my memory with GPO on my main machine. The newer short bows have maxed out CPU though as well as playing 2 harps in one piece with a full modern orchestration. Had to bounce a couple parts in this case.

I normally load up my template of 64 instruments in GPO Studio while using Sonar during the composition process. During the recording process instead of GPO Studio I load 8 VST GPO modules (again - 64 instruments). The reason for this is because I can't record MIDI in Sonar while that many VST modules are loaded, but I can play them just fine. I also prefer Sonar's reverbs and EQs, etc.

I believe I could actually load many more instruments using the VST modules, but I haven't tried it. Available memory is ample. I'm also including the big Steinway Piano instrument!

Here is my hardware:
    IBM Computer (really!)
    Xeon processor, 2.66 GHz
    2.5 GB RAM

- Steve Barden

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    We would like to know how many GPO Instruments you can load into your computer.

It would be useful to know this information and this will help inform as to what can expected on various computers. It will also help to determine if the upcoming player update is more efficient.

Please let me know:
    • How many GPO Instruments you can load (before running into any problems). "Dry" instruments only please.
    • Whether you have Mac or PC
    • Your processor type (Intel/AMD,Motorola, etc.)
    • Your processor speed (very important)
    • Amount of RAM
    • Your host (your sequencer, or GPO Studio with notation).
    You can post your experiences here, PM or email me. I will tally the results, do an instrument/performance analysis and provide the results in graph form at the end of the poll.

Thank you for your help and participation.

Gary Garritan

How many instruments I'm not real sure, but I can load the full orchestra template without hiccups now, but I do run into problems with voices on occasion. I run a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz with 2 gigs of ram in Studio most of the time. As far as VST goes I can load all of the 3 instances I'm allowed in the included Cubasis VST without any problems at all. On the road I'm much more limited due to the ram allocation (512 MB) in my laptop and the processor doesn't seem to hold up as well as the desktop even though its a 2.8 Ghz P4. I could probably load most everything but the piano since I've tweaked the notebook heavily, but voices and lag due to latency are a huge concern.

Go Back to forum