• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway B gives popping noise

Share/Bookmark

Steinway B gives popping noise

I am currently running Gigastudio on Win98, 1Ghz Athlon and 256RAM. 2x20Gb IBM 7200 hard disks. Soundcard used SW1000XG running latest direct X driver (still have a delay, sigh).

The problem I have is that when I use the 1G Steinway B sample, I always get \"poping\" noise here and there. I wonder it has anything to do with my hardisks or my Windows memory management?

Any solutions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chino

Re: Steinway B gives popping noise

I too am using a similar system (inc the 1000xg) for giga...the thing that i had problems with was the chipset onthe board...i had awfull latency and popping noises.

Solved by getting a new driver for the XG card and a new mobo

------------------
    -=Riggs=-

Three letters: VIA.

MMM, I have an Intel 815EP chipset on CUSL-2C and have the same problems, nothing to do with VIA thus.

Sounds like the whole world is suffering this, me included now. In my simple opinion it hast something to do with a shared interrupt and thus IDE related. For example a Promise ATA controller with 2 HD\'s and a soundcard on the same PCI bridge.

Working it out myself

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pendragon:
    MMM, I have an Intel 815EP chipset on CUSL-2C and have the same problems, nothing to do with VIA thus.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was never able to get the Steinway B to work on my Athlon built by Soundchaser with Gigastudio 160. As soon as the pedal went down, the noises and LOUD pops began.

Hi all,
    My system Dell P3 500/256MB/both ATA and 1394 audio drives. I use an AP2496 card. Be careful to get it on a good interrupt (9 or 10) or you\'ll get lots of clicks and pops anyway.

I was having exactly the same problem when using the Trachtman 8-layer Steinway-C library. It got much better (but not totally fixed) when I switched to either the pedal up only or pedal down only samples. Switching sample sets based on the sustain pedal seems to be a bit of a problem for GigaSampler.

Last week I added memory and went up to 768MB. No more clicks and pops.

RAM helps a lot. It\'s not a Via problem.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark_Knecht (edited 03-06-2002).]

Go Back to forum