• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: which piano should i buy?

Share/Bookmark

which piano should i buy?

hi folks!

i have only the Steinway B. I hate some of the black notes on it they sound like your voice when you plug your nose. I want a better piano to use live at church every week with the worship band. I was thinking about saving up for the 8 piano deal at PMI for $650 USD. I also thought of getting the Malmsjo and maybe the Milan Audio Steinway. The Black Grand also sounds good, but i guess is not yet available. I have a Biostar Mini PC i have been hauling to church every Sunday, and have been using Kontakt and some soft synths. Which pianos might be the best for my live setup? I have ultra low latency with my VSL2020 sound card (.72 ms). I do generally like the sound of the Steinway B.

Thanks in advance!

Re: which piano should i buy?

Matthew,

I don't know what your timetable is, but I'd suggest going with the Black Grand, if you can wait for its release. The close perspective should work well for a live situation. The other thing you could do is try the demo version at the church, not during a service but perhaps during the week at at rehearsal. It would let you know what the sound would be like, in the church, at least for the limited notes available in the demo version.

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

You may want to consider the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Model 290, which works extremely well in live situations. This piano also works extremely well for more intimate playing situations as well when using the velocity filter programming instrument files that are included in the package.

For more information and mp3 demos, visit our web site at www.bardstownaudio.com

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

I'll second that Bosi 290 piano. I use it and I really enjoy the sound. I'm using the Kontact plug in version no hickup's and sounds amazing for the sound I'm looking for.
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

WOW! those bardstown samples sounded great! I had not thought of that one. I think i want it. I want the PMI Bos as well. Will try the demo of Black Grand at the church setting. Lol, I had already planned on blowing half my next paycheck anyway.

p.s. i am in love with the Well Tempered Klavier. When in college, i was making a survey of the music of Mozart and Bach. But as soon as i discovered the Well Tempered Klavier, i dropped everything and couldn't stop listening to it. I mean i walked around campus with headphones. John Lewis Grant, you play beautifully, and remind me get back into these Preludes and Fugues of Bach. (I listened to your demos of the PMI Bose). Thanks!

Hi Matthew,

I play also in a chuch worship band. I know what it means. You need a piano with a closed perspective for good live sound. You should try the Galaxy Steinway D, the PMI Gold Old Lady (Steinway D) and the PMI Gold Emperor (Bosendorfer 290 SE). With the PMI Gold, you can use my patches for kontakt version (available on www.postaudio.com or on my web page http://jazzphoton.free.fr ) which greatly improve the player feeling by recreating a real piano behaviour (See my web page for all details (real string behaviour, real time sympathic resonance...))
    You should try also the White Grand or wait for the Black Grand.

For the moment, i'm using the PMI Gold with my own kontakt/gigastudio patches. I use kontakt for the pedal up layers to recreate the real string behaviour and the accurate release (staccato, legato, double escape), and gigastudio for best real time pedal down behaviour (sympathic resonance and piano relase mode during note release).

Xavier Bidault

Smile Re: which piano should i buy?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    WOW! those bardstown samples sounded great! I had not thought of that one. I think i want it. I want the PMI Bos as well. Will try the demo of Black Grand at the church setting. Lol, I had already planned on blowing half my next paycheck anyway.

All the libraries mentioned so far are great options.

Hopefully we'll hear some good news from Worra about the release of the Black Grand.

Have fun with the hunt for the right library and let us know what you select.

A note on the pmi bach up at Micheil's site. It's recorded at the higher velocity end of the sample. Also, I now think I made an error in adding audigy verb to an already verby sample. I hurt the sound. At the site below you'll find some of the same WTC recorded at lower levels, and with minimal convolution verb added. I prefer the sound myself. Softer.

Also, you'll find a few Chopin Preludes played using the Milan Steinway. Avoid Prelude 15, which I applied heavy gain to, and which sounds terrible in the loud parts. One or two of the others are recorded at 320, I believe. So the sound is pretty good.

Like Lawrence, I'll be taking a serious look at the Black Grand. The Milan, however, is, I think you'll find from the Chopin I've posted, incredibly real and present.

Oh, yes, I agree with you totally about the Steinway B. Although for years it was the best piano sample out there.

JG

fugue 13 and 17 WTC1 are totally awesome! I love that reverb on 13. Which piano did you use for the Bach on your amazon site?
    Also i am looking to get an 88 key with the best hammer action. My 88 now is only semi-weighted. What do you use? What would you suggest?
    Thanks again for the great recordings!

P.S. who is your favorite pianist for Bach? Gould? Andras Schiff?
    How bout for Chopin? Rubinstein?

Go Back to forum