• Register
  • Help

Topic: General Questions About Kontakt.

Share/Bookmark

General Questions About Kontakt.

1) How much does it cost?

2) Is there only 1 version, or is there multiple like GS 32,96,160.

3) How\'s the documentation? Does it tell you how to get the most out of the product or will we need another seperate manual?

4) Is this a better platform than GS? Should I give up on Gigastudio and convert to Kontakt?

Thanks!

Re: General Questions About Kontakt.

Hi Munsie, I cant answer all of your questions but I will try to help where I can. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

1) How much does it cost? - I bought mine in Australia so can\'t help you there. Next!

2) Is there only 1 version, or is there multiple like GS 32,96,160. - There is the full version (currently 1.2) and a \"lite\" version that I believe is only available with some sample libraries. You can read Doug Rogers\' post on it here; http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=004191;p=1

3) How\'s the documentation? Does it tell you how to get the most out of the product or will we need another seperate manual? - I think the manual is great, fairly comprehensive. There are also online tutorials available for registered members. There is no pdf available of the manual though.

4) Is this a better platform than GS? Should I give up on Gigastudio and convert to Kontakt? - Don\'t really know the answer to this as I am not an experienced Giga user. I have heard some say that cause it functions as a VST that it doesnt perform as well as Giga. Others are reporting incredible note polphony/performance.

One thing I will say, I love the fact that it is a VST. I have the best of both worlds; the ability to perform midi editing on my samples, plus the ability to listen to my samples with eq and fx before the final mixdown.

Hope this helps, Scott.

Hi,
    Kontakt lists at $399 US in the United States. Check with your local dealer though, as they usually offer better pricing.
    There is a \"lite\" version of Kontakt to be released within the next couple of months, which will contain East West libraries. This is called Kompakt, and it will be only 8 voice multitimbral. It loses a bit in functionality (filter types, and so on), but some would say it has a little bit of an easier to use user interface.

There is a crossgrade to Kontakt from Giga. You can get this for under $200 from many dealers. The list price from Native-Instruments is $229. This crossgrade is only good until the end of February per the form I downloaded from the NI site.

I plan on building an extra PC to use Kontakt on with my sequencer. Giga will stay on my older machine. You need a powerful machine (P4 2.0 GHz or higher) to get polyphony as high as GigaStudio 160 according to many posts I\'ve read on a couple different forums including Northernsounds.

Go Back to forum