• Register
  • Help

Topic: Modulation / expression GOS & Full Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

Question Modulation / expression GOS & Full Kontakt

Slowly but surely I am starting to understand Kontakt. However, I don't have modulation control at all for GOS lite or GPO when loaded into full Kontakt. Can't seem to figure out why or better yet how to go about setting it up in full kontakt. Let me ask this, does the modulation control act the same in full kontakt as it does in the bundled GPO kontakt player? I am not getting any expression.
    Sorry, getting very tired. Been at this all night since 4pm non stop. Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Styxx

Re: Modulation / expression GOS & Full Kontakt

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Slowly but surely I am starting to understand Kontakt. However, I don't have modulation control at all for GOS lite or GPO when loaded into full Kontakt. Can't seem to figure out why or better yet how to go about setting it up in full kontakt. Let me ask this, does the modulation control act the same in full kontakt as it does in the bundled GPO kontakt player? I am not getting any expression.
    Sorry, getting very tired. Been at this all night since 4pm non stop. Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Hi Styxx, what seq. are you using?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Are you running it in Standalone or as a VST (Kontakt I mean)? It should work exactly the same as GPO in VST mode, meaning the controllers should do what they were designed to do. I just tested my version as a VST and it works fine. The only thing I could come up with is that did you assign the midi channels in Kontakt to match your sequencer (I know this is dumb!)?

Tanks boys! It aint a happenin' either way. I think I lost some more hair on top of this old head of mine.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Tanks boys! It aint a happenin' either way. I think I lost some more hair on top of this old head of mine.
    Styxx, that's strange!

The modulation should work for GPO both in full version of Kontakt and the GPO player. At least it works for me. Are you sure that you're putting right midi event? It should be "Modulation" #CC1.

Btw. you can get sound out of your Kontakt or is it completely dead?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Falcon1,
    Modulation works with GPO and the bundled kontakt player but not with full kontakt. I am not home right now to try different settings. I'll have to wait until later, much later when all the family life happenings are settled down for the evening. For now I am just noting the suggestions.
    I have to admit I am quite confused.
    Styxx

Styxx, ok I see - GPO should work also with the full kontakt.

However, regarding GOS lite then you need to assign modulation control to the patches manually - at least I needed to do that. I think that there are some tutorials how to do that in the Kontakt forum here on NS. If not I shall write down the process for you.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

That figures, I would be most grateful if you could do that. I had scanned the forum for threads relating to this problem but was unsuccessful.
    Thanks much in advance!

BTW - Nice piece!
    Styxx

Thumbs down Re: Modulation / expression GOS & Full Kontakt

Are you sure that you're putting right midi event? It should be "Modulation" #CC1.
    I am not finding the answer to this problem either in this manual or on the forum. Modulation works fine if I load an instrument of GPO into full kontakt. However, if I load an instrument from GOS nki, no modulation control in stand alone or as VST in Cubase and or CWHS 2004XL.
    Styxx

GOS doesn't use modulation for controlling volume. This is CC7 which will need to be enabled in the Options for Kontakt (CC7/CC10). By default, this option is not enabled. You can assign volume to CC1 (modulation) by clicking on the Edit button. Find the amplitude envelope section. There is a button to click to add controllers. Assign the new one to modulation (CC1). You will need to play around with this a bit to get the curve you want. At 100, it will fade out to nothing at the lower end. You can change it to around 95 to get the basic curve of GPO modulation. I'm at work and don't have Kontakt in front of me so I'm not sure what the names of some of the items are called.

Try opening up some of the GPO patches in Kontakt and look at how Tom programmed them. One thing you will notice is how involved some of the programming is for some of the instruments such as the sustain+short strings. Most other libraries programming is really basic compared to Tom's.

Go Back to forum