• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New piece

Share/Bookmark

Cool New piece

Hi all, here comes a brand new piece composed by me - who else?

http://www.falcon-creations.com/mp3/..._mix1a_mp3.mp3 (8.0 mb)

Now the working name on the piece is "warsong" but I doubt that I'll use that as a final name.

The form of the piece could be categorized as an variation and fantasy but myself would put it such: Overall form ABA. The B-section is then the fantasy part.

Anyway, please listen to the piece and then let me know what you think about it. Nb. consider it as a kind of "rough" version.
    Btw. I used limiter for the first time and I hope that "soft"-sections are not too low in volume.

Any tips etc. are appreciated!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: New piece

Hey Falcon,

Compositionally, I don't see much that needs fixing at all. In fact - it is very nice. I love the B section the most! Well done!

My only criticism is that this piece needs the legato tool applied a LOT. The soft sections will flow better - and all the instruments will benefit greatly in terms of realism.

At 2:05 there are some woodwind runs that seem a bit unrealistic - but I would need to see the score to really know for sure. And perhaps having the legato with them might make them sound better.

That is my only criticism of this wonderful new piece. And you said it is in a "rough" version, so I am sure you will address these "polishing" aspects later.

Thanks for sharing!

Jerry

Smile Re: New piece

Thanks Jerry, for your comments and kind words!

Yes, I find the B-section to be great as contrasting feature. The thought was originally that the B-section would indicate war or struggle, and it could well be interpreted as such. But the main problem was to connect this "strange" section (compared to the rest) convincingly, I think I managed to do that.

The woodwind runs at 2:05 are no problem for live performance.

Yes, I know that there are several place which I need to use more legato tool. That will be fixed in "final" version.

Again thanks for your comments!

Btw. I'll post a score soon, either in PDF or in Scorch form (what would you prefer?).
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Thumbs up Re: New piece

Well, Jerry pretty much covered the technical portion of this nice work. I like the contrasting B part as well. Actually, Wow - I wish my ruff versions sound so well! Nice compositions as it stands and I would really like to hear the polished version.
    You and the others of this forum never cease to amaze me. Such awesome compositional talent and musicianship continues to grow with each post.
    Styxx

Cool Re: New piece

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Well, Jerry pretty much covered the technical portion of this nice work. I like the contrasting B part as well. Actually, Wow - I wish my ruff versions sound so well! Nice compositions as it stands and I would really like to hear the polished version.
    You and the others of this forum never cease to amaze me. Such awesome compositional talent and musicianship continues to grow with each post.
    Hi Styxx, thanks for your comment.

Yes, I'll publish more polished version - hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

I sure hope that I improve with every composition I make.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Cool Re: New piece - The score!

Here's my first try to show you the score of my pieces:

http://www.falcon-creations.com/sib/...nalscore1a.htm

Let me know what you think about this offering, is it ok to use Scorch or are PDF prefered?

Also if someone notices something wrong with the score please let me know. All comments are appreciated! (Hint: jerry )
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Re: New piece - The score!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1

Let me know what you think about this offering, is it ok to use Scorch or are PDF prefered?
    Thanks Falcon1

For a "rough" version you did a really good job. Excellent composition skills and use of instrumentation. Jerry has a good point about the use of legato. Also, you may want to consider experimenting with the space. Try different presets with ambience or if you use a sample revierb (like SIR) I could send you an impulse to try.

Would you mind rendering a pdf for those who don't have the scorch plug-in.

Again, Excellent work and thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Red face Re: New piece - The score!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Thanks Falcon1

For a "rough" version you did a really good job. Excellent composition skills and use of instrumentation. Jerry has a good point about the use of legato. Also, you may want to consider experimenting with the space. Try different presets with ambience or if you use a sample revierb (like SIR) I could send you an impulse to try.

Would you mind rendering a pdf for those who don't have the scorch plug-in.

Again, Excellent work and thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan
    Gary, thanks for your comments and kind words! I'm using SIR now and I'm liking it, so if you have some impulses for me to try out then yes please send me those or download link. If it's larger than 5mb then please send it to malefnin AT malefnin.com. (AT = @)

Yes, I'll post a pdf and a more final version before chat time.

Again thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Cool Re: New piece - Update!

Hi guys, here's a new and much more final version of the piece.

http://www.falcon-creations.com/mp3/...g_mix2_mp3.mp3 (8.0mb)

And here's the score in pdf format.

http://www.falcon-creations.com/pdf/warsong.pdf (200kb)

Btw. I made the score as a C-score for those who are not used to read transposed concert scores.

Let me know what you think!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Re: New piece - Update!

Hey Falcon!!!!

The polished piece sounds fantastic! What a difference that legato makes!

I really like this music! How long did it take you to write this? The score looks great. I appreciate you posting it. (and in concert pitch, no less! )

Jerry Wickham

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast