• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sequencer Notation????

Share/Bookmark

Sequencer Notation????

This has probably been beat to death, but I would like everyone's opinion as to the notation portion of your sequencers. What is the best, in your opinion, and why. I am currently using Overture SE, and I do not want to get into the habit of sequencing in the piano roll just yet. I love Overture, but I also need the capabilities of sequencer for EQ'ing, tweaking, and the VST capabilities. Is there a sequencer out there that meets these needs but has a pretty good notation side to the program. Every one I've used to date is pretty much garbage as you can tell that its more tacked on than a feature, per se. I hate to duplicate processes here as right now I'm exporting everything from Overture into Cubase for tweaking and mastering, and I'd like to condense that down to one program. Have Sonar and Cubase SX raised the bar any or is it still a mediocre aspect of those programs?

Re: Sequencer Notation????

The score editor in Nuendo/Cubase SX is quite powerful for composition purposes. Combined with the key editor I don't think a "notation only" program can touch it. The weakness is in the area of layout, you can't get things looking as refined or output as "pretty" as Sibelius 2 (which I also use). I've created an alternate set of keycommands in Nuendo that mirror whose in Sibelius and I load these when I'm going to be using the score editor a lot. You could probably set up something similar to Overture too.

Well, my biggest issue so far with the included Cubase's notation portion is the way that it does when I put a note down. Let's just say the score is empty and I put down a note in a measure. If I don't put it in exactly the right place the program puts rests in front of it. And it does the same thing when I put in the next notes as well. It just doesn't make any sense. I mean, if I wanted rests there, I'd put them in myself. And then sometimes it puts crazy ties in automaticly. It isn't intuative at all. Are these type of things still an issue in SX or Nuendo?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Is there a sequencer out there that meets these needs but has a pretty good notation side to the program... Have Sonar and Cubase SX raised the bar any or is it still a mediocre aspect of those programs?
    I find Sonar's notation very poor and unhandy!
    sfiks

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I hate to duplicate processes here as right now I'm exporting everything from Overture into Cubase for tweaking and mastering, and I'd like to condense that down to one program. Have Sonar and Cubase SX raised the bar any or is it still a mediocre aspect of those programs?
    That's just the way it works in the real world. I find I can work much faster in a sequencer than a notation program. I'm sure if someone wanted to make a one for all they would but I'm sure they've researched the cost vs. market.

Confirm that Sonar 3.1 still has poor notation capabilities, many little foolishnesses -- I use it anyway, but dearly wish for better. Sonar has a number of other very good features, of course, which keeps it in the running.

Joseph,

Sequence the notes in Overture, and then export the midi to Sonar and do the rest of your processing.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Well, since I've found the mod wheel control in Overture, this is becoming less a necessity.

One more vote added for Sonar's poor notation. I only work in the piano roll. It gives much more control than any notation program that I know ever would do.

It is a REAL pain if you done a whole score in piano roll and later have to create score, but as mentioned above, that is life. There are many people who earn big money from doing exactly that for a living.

I just recently purchased Sibelius because I was so discouraged with the Score editor in Cubase SX. I have found at this point that I am able to score at least twice with Sibelius than with SX. I have also found that recording MIDI and then working with the resulting Score can be quite painful. To me, the rules of Score representation for MIDI are confusing at best.

That being said, I have not yet had the chance to take a score from Sibelius and port it over to SX to work with. Therefore, I cannot say if the experience will be any better. I'll report in later on my results in case anyone is interested.

Any tips anyone has regarding Sibelius and SX integration would be welcome, I'd love to hear how others work.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum