• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Presidential Debates

Share/Bookmark

The Presidential Debates

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    THE (IMAGINARY) PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES

MORT KLEIN: Senator Kerry, how would you characterize your view of foreign policy?

KERRY: I just don't think it's the role of the United States to walk into a country and say, we do it this way, so should you ....but I think one way for us to end up being viewed as the ugly American is for us to go around the world saying, we do it this way, so should you…..I think the United States must be humble and must be proud and confident of our values, but humble in how we treat nations that are figuring out how to chart their own course.
    (beat)
    You know who said that? My opponent did, back in 2000, during his second debate with Vice President Gore. The difference between myself and Mr. Bush is that *I* actually believe it.

I strongly urge everyone to check out this page, especially you conservatives in the crowd: http://www.geocities.com/reconsideri.../rhetoric.html

Re: The Presidential Debates

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    THE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES

MORT KLEIN: Senator Kerry, how would you characterize your view of foreign policy?

KERRY: I just don't think it's the role of the United States to walk into a country and say, we do it this way, so should you ....but I think one way for us to end up being viewed as the ugly American is for us to go around the world saying, we do it this way, so should you…..I think the United States must be humble and must be proud and confident of our values, but humble in how we treat nations that are figuring out how to chart their own course.
    (beat)
    You know who said that? My opponent did, back in 2000, during his second debate with Vice President Gore. The difference between myself and Mr. Bush is that *I* actually believe it.

I strongly urge everyone to check out this page, especially you conservatives in the crowd: http://www.geocities.com/reconsideri.../rhetoric.html
    very informative page and links

It's amazing to look back and see that Bush said that. What a jerk. Oh, and guess what? Kerry will be the same way.

Oh sure, he won't do it "unilaterally", but in a way that's even worse because I am confident he'll subjugate our nation to the UN, and whatever the UN says he will do. If the UN says jump, he'll ask how high. But the end result will be even more foreign entanglements.

When will we see a candidate who truly believes in and practices the doctrine that the US military is for DEFENSIVE PURPOSES ONLY? It's not for "peacekeeping", it's not for policing, it's not for wars of adventure, it's to keep our shores secure from foreign assault. Given this role, it's an embarrasing shame that we've spent so much on the military and have such a sophisticated figting force and yet our borders are so insecure. There's no excuse for that. None at all.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Brady, you and I are brothers in arms on this subject. But I believe Kerry will be more responsible than Bush in this regard, not less. Even if it's a matter of degree, I'll take it.

And I think it's a matter of significant degree. Can you imagine Kerry in a "Bring it on" moment? He has never demonstrated that degree of recklessness. On the other hand, we Texans are still living with the fallout of Mr. Bush's tenure here. Just as the country will. Our ultra-liberal Ann Richards was more fiscally conservative. Unfortunately, Mr. Bush simply equates "stubborn jack*ss" with "conservative," and fails to actually practice any degree of conservatism.

A conservative, I can actually live with. It's the jack*ss part that does us so much damage. The best route is to limit the damage to four years. Even if Mr. Kerry is lackluster, there is value in a reduction of Executive Branch activity if nothing else.

One of the things that particularly bothers me about Kerry on this specific issues though is his stand on the amnesty issue. Bush has already made the problem bad by his amnesty proposal. Kerry's stated proposal does even more to encourage illegal immigration, which will make it even more difficult to protect our borders from insurgents. So if we're talking in terms of degrees, at least on this issue, Kerry is worse. However, I personally don't find either alternative acceptable.

Go Back to forum