• Register
  • Help

Topic: using sustain pedal/legato instruments at the same time in Logic/Mac/GPO?

Share/Bookmark

using sustain pedal/legato instruments at the same time in Logic/Mac/GPO?

I know this has been addressed but can't for the life of me find the info. Can anyone out there with Mac Panther/Logic 6.4/GPO explain how you can have 2 separate instances of GPO open such that 1 can use the regular piano sustain pedal and the other can use the legato mode for orchestral instruments? Gary in a separate thread alluded to copying the DLL file in audio units, etc. but I've never been able to figure out more specifically what I'm supposed to do (since Mac doesn't use VST). Thanks for any help!
    - robjohn

Re: using sustain pedal/legato instruments at the same time in Logic/Mac/GPO?

Well if it will work with Audiounits what we mean is just going into the components folder and right clicking on the AU file (personalorchestra.au or however its worded) and copying it and pasting it right back down into the same folder and renaming it to personalorchestra2.au. Then you just assign one sustain control and use the other for legato control since they will be viewed as different plugs.

This sounds logical in theory but I can't for the life of me get it to work. With My Mac OS X Panther system and Logic 6.4, I used the Finder to search for "PersonalOrchestra". Not knowing which file exactly to duplicate as per your suggestions(as none were clearly marked as "audio units"), I tried re-naming all of the likely candidates (including "PersonalOrchetraRTAS" in both the Plug-Ins and Plug-In Settings folder, "PersonalOrchestra.rsrc" in the Resources folder, "PersonalOrchestra.component" in the Components folder, and "PersonalOrchestra" in the Garritan Personal Orchestra folder) and putting the re-named copy in the same folder as the original. When I subsequently opened Logic, the program basically crashed when I tried to change pedal assignments.

Has anyone out there with a Mac/Panther and Logic gotten this procedure to work? If so, I would be grateful if you could please explain very specifically what the fix is (including appropriate file/folder) - thanks so much!
    - robjohn

The AU stuff is in the "component" folder, the suffix being "component". You could try duplicating the personalorchestra.component....I have no idea what the result would be.

Let me know if it works!

I tried copying and re-naming "personalorchestra.component" and re-inserting it into the same folder. When I opened Logic and tried changing pedal settings, the program completely hung up.

So any one out there had any success allowing for separate instances of GPO using Logic 6.4 with Mac OS Panther such that one is set to sustain pedal and the other to legato mode (or does anyone have any other ideas? :-))
    Much thanks!
    - robjohn

So I presume no one out there with Mac Panther/Logic 6.4/GPO has successfully set things up to use piano/sustain pedal plus instruments/legato at the same time? Thanks for any help!
    - robjohn

As far as I can tell, it can't be done.
    However, if you get the full version of Kontakt, you can load all your orchestral sounds in it, with the pedal set for legato. Then you use your Kontakt player that came with GPO and use that for the keyboards with pedal set for sustain.

You know, you could do one or the other with midi controllers: #64 for the sustain pedal, #17 for the release envelope control of Legato instruments.

I have completely different setup than you, so its very possible this information will not apply to you -- but try an experiment or to. The best way, probably, is to set things so the sustain pedal works in the normal midi way, and experiment with Midi controller #17 with legato.

Just to avoid any confusion here: cc17 is a controller that is active in some GOS instruments. It is not used in GPO. The legato function is handled in a completely different fashion for these two libraries.

On the subject of simultaneous use of two different pedal modes in GPO, if the “second copy” trick doesn’t work then there are really only two choices left at this time: Using the full version of Kontakt and the player at the same time with different settings for each or rendering the piano to audio with the standard sustain setting and then returning to the “midi cc” setting for everything else running in real-time.

Tom

Thanks for all the help. I may very well go with purchasing full Kontakt (especially now that the price has been reduced to $199US)...
    - robjohn

Go Back to forum